Placement advice

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jaco Schoeman, 1 Apr 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

As you all know I am quite new to this hobby. I have a 3foot tank. I have been REALLY struggling with placement of my corals. They are growing quite a lot, so I am constantly having to move my setup around. I can not think that this is good at all. I know I should stop moving stuff around, but I need someone to tell me that!!!

I also find myself changing direction and flow of my pheads, constantly trying to replicate the best environment, yet doing this, I always end up moving everything... The only have two items that needs to be placed carefully, my Crispa anemone (which moves anyway if he's not happy) and hammer corals - they are high up at the moment, so pose no real threat. But my zoas, mushrooms, star pollyps, xenia and pin cusion are my headache. I am so scared that they aren't getting enough light, flow etc.

I also feel that my tank is too full. At this stage of my tank (4 months) things are happening, and I have no idea whether I am doing it right or wrong. I think I need to get a more experienced reefer in JHB to come and have a look, and see if I'm doing it right.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Jaco. I used to be the same moving powerhead flow every five seconds because one coral was getting flow and the other not. Get two 5000lph of those sun sun powerheads with a wavemaker, place them on eithe end of the tank and this will end your problems. I've got the Vortechs but those guys work the same

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Best thing is to have one of the Gauteng reef club meetings at your place, nothing better than a bunch of knowledgeable guys to give you hands on advice.

5. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

maybe get more lower flow PHs or instead of moving your corals trim them back. with a pair of cloral clippers

6. aslam

aslam

Jaco,your corals are growing which is a sign your on the right track.About moving your powerheads,don't worry everyone does this.An experienced reefer checking your setup is a good idea,leave the corals and let the reef grow.

Recent Posts