Pistol Shrimpie

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by williet, 15 Jun 2011.

1. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi All

Just got myself a Valenciennea strigata Golden (Golden Sleeperhead Gobie) and I am looking for a friend... I was thinking a pistol shrimp. Does anyone want to get rid of one ?

Regards
    Willie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Um, as far as I know, those gobies don't pair up with shrimp, you should rather have gone with one of the many shrimp/watchman gobies available that readily pair up with snapping/pistol shrimp.

Here is a good read that lists probably most of the gobies that pair up with shrimp. ShrimpGobies

4. Helga

Helga

Pistol Shrimp

Hi,

I have a Yellow Watchman Gobie paired with a Pistol Shrimp. When I bought them they werent paired up together. I acclimatised them together for about an hour and a half and put them together into my tank. The Pistol quickly scooted under a rock. After exactly a half an hour and a few clicks from the Pistol, the Watchman raced over the sand toward the Pistol Shrimp and joined him under the rock. Since the they have never left each others side. It is amazing to see them together!!

I read up quite a bit on the best Gobies to pair with Pistol shrimps and most books and the Internet advised on the Watchman Gobies.

Hope this helps.
    Good luck!

5. Helga

Helga

My Yellow Watchman Gobie with his partener in crime... The Pistol Shrimp!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have witnessed their special simbiotic relationship. The Pistol has limited sight and uses the Gobie as a protector. He never exits his cave without an antenae touching the Gobie. The Watchman Gobie on the other hand arent natural cave diggers and uses the pistol shrimp for that.
    The pair is inseperable:clap:

6. viper357

Fantastic relationship between the two. Do you feed the shrimp?

7. Helga

Helga

He is so cute, I feed the fish and other shrimps with marine pellets and when the Gobie comes out for his food, he quickly comes out and picks up pellets. Otherwise I sometimes give him a small piece of leftover lance fish when I feed the BTA. I have seen the Gobie take the piece of fish and spit it out at the entrance of the cave. Dont know if he is intentionally feeding the shrimp or if he just doesnt like the fish:021:

8. viper357

He probably is, one of my clownfish used to do that, he would grab a piece of fish, swim to the anemone and spit it out right onto the anemone's mouth. Enjoy your pets, the relationship is so amazing to watch, much better than a boring fish just swimming around the tank. :p

9. Helga

Helga

I Agree Viper, must say I tend to get emotionally very attached to my "kids". I'm crazy over all the little "special" inhabitants in my tank. Although expensive Tangs and Butterflies etc are beautiful to look at (swimming round and round ;) giving a very good first impression), you really understand and see the amazing workings of our undersea world when you watch these smaller creatures.

10. Falcon

Falcon

nice helga,thanks for sharing and welcome to masa!

Good to see more vaalies on the forum.oh and where did you get the pistol from?hitchhiker?

Last edited: 19 Jun 2011
  11. Helga

Helga

Thanks Falcon, No he is no "hitchhiker". Bought him at Exotic in Boksburg. Bought a Yellow Watchman goby the same day and paired the 2. And viola!!! Theyre together since..

Recent Posts