Pistol shrimp has a new friend!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Helga, 15 Nov 2011.

1. Helga

Helga

GREAT NEWS:lol::thumbup:

After reporting on 5/10/2011 that my beloved Yellow Watchman Goby died and left my Pistol Shrimp all alone and hidden away to the extent that I thought he will not make it, I finally got a beautiful Watchman yesterday.
    I added him to the tank and within 15 min I heard the Pistol clicking. The Goby dissapeared under the rock and voila..... out they came.... together..... big buds!!!! The goby is taking fish from the feeder and spitting it back into the hole where the pistol is. I am so chuffed... :biggrin::biggrin:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

That is so cool ! :)

4. 2balive

2balive

That is so great!

Added a very small pistol shrimp to my tank, has never seen him again, my Yasha has rejected him:(

5. colbar

colbar

Helga that is so cute, what a cute relationship. Enjoy, you sound just like a proud Mommy.

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

aw yay :) .. Pics

7. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Great news Helga! post some pic's if you can ;)

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

I want a pair tooo!

9. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

The goby is still very shy!!! As soon as they have more courage they will be cruising the "sandy plain". My previous pair always came out to check the nabourhood at around 5 in the afternoon. I was really very worried about the little shrimp. Never saw him in the 40 plus days he was without a Goby. Was tempted to buy a Pink Spotted watchman this time but opted for the recipe I know that works! The Yellow Watchman.

The symbiotic relationship of these guys are amasing. I have a book "Q&A - Questions and Answers - The Marine Aquarium by Dr Ashley Ward, wherin he explains the relationship between Goby and Shrimp. They apparently find a partner very quick. Gobis use their eysight to look out for shrimps, whilst the shrimps seek out partners by attuning to the fish's smell. Why are they living together?: Each of the partners has an Archilles heel that is compensated for by the other. The weakness of the shrimp is its poor eyesight, which makes it a potentially easy meal for predtors. On the other hand the goby has excellent eyesight and is able to keep a lookout for dangr on the shrimp's behalf, but is far less capable than its crustacean housemate of excavating its own burrow. Both survive long with these living arrangements than they would alone. HOW DOES THE GOBY WARN THE SHRIMP OF IMPENDING DANGER?: If a predator gets too close for comfort, the goby will reverse into the burrow refuge. It also communicates to the shrimp by wiggling its tail. The shrimp picks up the warning through its antennae - whenever it leaves the burrow it keeps one of its feelers in constant contact with the fish, ready to duck if theres danger!

Now isnt this amazing! Nature just keeps me in awe! And here we as humans think we are just the Bee's Knees!

Here's a picture of my previous Goby with the Pistol:
    [​IMG]

10. hermie

hermie

Hey @Helga, what species of pistol shrimp is that? Did you get him through a special order at a lfs? I've always been to get them as it must be fascinating to watch their relationship.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. student

student

awesome!
    love these symbiotic relationships within our tanks!

I've got to get myself a pair

12. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

Hermie, My pistol shrimp is the Tiger pistol shrimp ( Alpheus bellulus). They are the most common pistol shrimp for sale and grow to about 6 - 8cm body length. I have seen them for sale at a few LFS in the JNB area. Bought mine at Exotic in Boksburg.
    They are excellent little critters. I would strongly suggest you pair him with a Watchman goby to get their true nature to emerge. It is really important to make sure you buy a true Watchman goby (Yellow or the Pink-spotted watchman goby). I have seen the shrimp get extremely upset when my sandsifting Ghost goby get near his burrow. He defenitely knows which goby he will except ;).

13. Braco

Braco

I am in the look out for a Shrimp now i have Mr Grumpy my Yellow watchman Goby...

14. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

:thumbup: You wont regret this! I have been happy twice now! Hope you will too..
    A word of caution though!!! A lot of people and even LFS shops confuse them with either Lobsters or the Peacock Mantis shrimp. They are often sold as Lobsters by LFS! :whistling::whistling::whistling:

15. Braco

Braco

Thanks Helga i will keep that in mind...;)

16. Dane

Dane

Awesome awesome awesome! Congrats on the new pairing :) Got to setup a tank for a pair like this one day :) Might add it to my three foot....

17. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

Dane... they actually dont need a very big tank. They spend their time under the rocks. Mine only appears late afternoon!

Recent Posts