Pistol Shrimp & crab

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ReefMaster_SA, 18 Aug 2009.

1. ReefMaster_SA

ReefMaster_SA

Hey guys

I have recently notice that I have a pistol shrimp and a red crab on my big SPS , I was awake till 11 last night figuring a way to get the creatures out

I now figured out that my Angel fish was killed because of the pistol shrimp
    &
    The gobie got attacked by it.

Also found a star fish , looks like brittel star only comes out at night.
    +
    A crab red with black spots on the big SPS

Need you guys info on what to do ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ReefMaster_SA

ReefMaster_SA Thread Starter

Feed back :(

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

they say something about patience being a virtue ;)

I am sure someone will give you some good advice soon enough, personally i have never had to catch one..... perhaps try baiting a glass, and putting that against a live rock, i am told that has worked but was unsuccessfull when i tried catching a crab like that a little while ago ....

5. Mouse

Mouse

You can read my thread about how to catch a mantis shrimp, hopefully that will help a bit....
    If you know where his bolthole is, then that's your first step to successful catching of the critter (the killer shrimp).
    As for the crab, stick a big piece of food in the tank near him, wait for him to go feasting and hoist him out with a long pair of tongs.

Other than that, I have no ideas. Good luck though! :thumbup:

Good luck

6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Crabs are easier than shrimp to catch.

Personally, the chances of a pistol shrimp becoming so big that it actually kills your fish etc in the tank is very unlikely. It will propably do more good than bad, in fact, it might even take out that other crab at some stage. That's why you maybe saw the two together, having a stand off... :49:

The only real damage the pistol can do is to make the noise of glass cracking when it slams it's claw. It can be annoying at times. I had one, but could never find it, just heard it.

I say leave it be, just try and get that crab sorted out. Use tongs, feed it, and when it's eating nail it.

7. ReefMaster_SA

Thanks alot for the info guys
    I will that Jaco & mouse , I did put some nori in a glass trying to wait for it

8. Jaco Schoeman

O yes, I also you recon that the Pistol killed your Angel and you say your goby got attacked by it. Did you see this or suspect this?

A pistol really needs to be big to kill an angel, and they don't attack the way mantis shrimps does, so I doubt your goby got attacked by it.

It really just slams it claw shut, and the water then stun's the prey, where the shrimp will take it and eat it.

See below link:

YouTube - Pistol Shrimp sonic weapon - Weird Nature - BBC wildlife

Hope it helps. You'll see they are amazing creatures, that does not really post too great a threat to the reef IMO.

9. Jaco Schoeman

Here is also something I came across. This Yellow Watchmann Goby is living with a Mantis Shrimp.

As you can see, the stun of the pistol claw will not be able to stunn this size fish, even though this shrimp is big, so there is no thread. I really doubt it taking out an angel. Maybe a juvenile Angel, but not a mature angel...

10. ReefMaster_SA

Wow Jaco , Thats hecktic thanks alot I will check the Psitol shrimp I know its got White & black Stripes

Recent Posts