Piranha's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
you cant they are illegal here ! rather stick to silver dollars!! they are as close as you will get

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Pacu's are a nice choice too

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
you cant they are illegal here ! rather stick to silver dollars!! they are as close as you will get

Calvin, do you know why are they illegal? i was in a freshwater lfs near home yesterday and they were £5 each (R70) and there were plenty of them.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Calvin, do you know why are they illegal? i was in a freshwater lfs near home yesterday and they were £5 each (R70) and there were plenty of them.
Wee-man, I stand for correction, but I think they are not so much banned here but not allowed to be imported anymore. It's got to do with them being overfished in South America much the same as many of the catfish species.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Wee-man, I stand for correction, but I think they are not so much banned here but not allowed to be imported anymore. It's got to do with them being overfished in South America much the same as many of the catfish species.

Cheers, i will do a little digging to see if they are on the endangered list in the UK, or are we breeding them over here??

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
I think the main problem here, is they can survive in our natural water systems....not good.

Reaction score
Alan hit the nail on the head! They are an enviromental threat

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
What about Oscars? They kinda look like piranha's and are also aggressive eaters. They're quite good magicians - when I had my oscars my friend came to my house once and said "look what I bought for your tank..." and as he was dumping the bag I shouted to stop him - damn those oscars made that siamese fighting fish dissappear quickly!

Reaction score
wow thanks guys for all the reply's, my flat mate and i want to get a fish tank, coz i miss mine so much i had a NANO as i see you guys call it, with Malawi's in them damn they were beautifull, ( if only they could stop eating each orther) lol, so yeah we decided on getting Piranha's

Reaction score
How big is your tank cos they grow very big. My uncle has a 2m tank and the pacu out grew the tank. they need alot of room

Reaction score
I don't have a tank yet,:blushing: need to look around, im new in Jhb and have no clue were the pet shops are around here, so i need to get one, any sugestions on what i need to begin with and the cost? please

Status
Not open for further replies.