Piping Size?

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Just need some advise on my plumbing.

My tank will be 420L, with a C2c the length of it, 1.4m long. Will be running with a 100L sump with a DSB 500mm wide and water level 70mm deep above it.

Will also be running wave makers for water movement.

1. What size pump would I need, as I would need a certain amount of flow for the C2C overflow to work properly, correct?

2. What size durso pluming would I need to use for that size pump?

Maybe people with similar setups could advise what they are running.

Thx

How high will the water need to be pumped, i.e distance from top of tank to bottom of sump? The head will be one of the determining factors in sizing your pump.

Hi lighty - I have a 32mm down-pipe, and if I want my tank water to drain from the top of the down-pipe, then it takes +-6000 litres per hour from my sump (could be a little less with the head-loss - taking into account the 2 pumps I used was 6000 litres per hour)..... Now, currently, I am only pumping 2000 litres per hour (my other return line is connected to my 12V return pump, which I use in case of power-failures).....
At this stage the water level of my tank is a little lower, and water is entering a hole on the side of the stand-pipe....

Moz, its about 1.5m, but will take head hight into account.

Jacques, not quite with you, are you saying one 32mm durso pipe will drain about 6000lts/h.

Moz, its about 1.5m, but will take head hight into account.

Jacques, not quite with you, are you saying one 32mm durso pipe will drain about 6000lts/h.

Hi lighty - yes - that's what I am saying - it is quite possible that one 32mm stand-pipe can drain +-6000 litres per hour....

well that's a relief, thought my 32mm was going to be too small.

if i'm correct, I should be aiming for about 3000L/h (about 5-6x the system volume)

any other advise you can spare?

32mm should be more than ample lighty - the amount of water flow through the sump does not have to be TOO high, as you want your skimmer/DSB in the sump to remove as much "crap" from the water as possible, before the water returns to the tank.... It is usually just the in-tank water movement that should be very high....
3000 litres per hour should me more than ample!

Yes, it will work 100% fine - personally I think that you will get more than 3000 litre per hour flowing over the C2C - but once the circle have been completed with the return pump working, then 3000 litre per hour will go over the C2C, down the 32mm down-pipe, into the sump, through the sump, and 3000 litre per hour of water will be pumped back into the tank...... In very basic "lay man's terms".....

with you jacques, was worring that it mite be too little, in other words, it mite now flow over the whole lengh of it.

Thailon, tought of it for the sole purpose of flushing under the LR, but think i'm going to go with the power head under rock story.

hi Friends

got my tank setup now but struggling with the stand pipe as it does seem to be draining the water fast enough. I'm running a Hailea 6550 pump which I have tapped off to feed my refrug @ about +-1000lph (can adjust). Head hight about 1.2m. Stand pipe is about 300mm high. I've tried "uncapping" to top of it but just get worse until it's below water level. All piping is 32mm. my return pipe exit is below water level if it makes any difference.

PLEASE HELP

hi Friends

got my tank setup now but struggling with the stand pipe as it does seem to be draining the water fast enough. I'm running a Hailea 6550 pump which I have tapped off to feed my refrug @ about +-1000lph (can adjust). Head hight about 1.2m. Stand pipe is about 300mm high. I've tried "uncapping" to top of it but just get worse until it's below water level. All piping is 32mm. my return pipe exit is below water level if it makes any difference.

PLEASE HELP

lIghty, is it gurgling? The 6550 is 5600L/p hour so it might be a much for one 32mm (bear in mind the bulkhead is narrower than 32mm, most prob 25mm) how is the water tapped of for the refugium.

A 32mm pipe can only take about 2000l/h....you need a 40mm pipe! Also need to take into account the bends. I know this because I have completed my new tank and find that I have made the same mistake (5000l through a 32mm pipe with 2 90 bends)! After it was pointed out to me I felt silly as all the info was in a book I have just read but I was sure it would be enough.

I'm also speaking under correction but I think such a large overflow will need alot of water flow as you need to skim a nice layer of water....

Dursos.jpg

this is 2 x 50mm dursos with 4500L p h

Back
Top Bottom