Pineapple coral

Reaction score
Hi friend,

I've got a 'pineapple' coral that's not doing to well, its been dying off slowly, water is in check.

Do they need a lot of flow?

what lighting do they require as I have 2x T5?

thanks

Reaction score
not 100% sure, but what if seen on the WWW it is, most sites say they easy to keep, so what's going wrong, I've moved it lower and in a higher current spot now. Really how it helps!

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi lIghty - I too have not heard of a "pineapple" coral before. Could you perhaps get a picture of this coral for us?

Is it a LPS coral? If so - MOST (not all) LPS corals prefer to be placed on the sand, in NOT too turbulent water (MOST - not all) LPS corals come from the shallow salt water marshes or lagoons at the tropical islands.....

So - the environment should be emulated. Also - is the coral being target fed? If yes - what?

Puppy

Lives for SPS
Reaction score
Favites Corals is also know as pineapple corals so i am pretty sure this is what u are referring to.
They like medium flow .
Lightning should be moderate .
Placing can be anywhere in the tank.
Ideal Water conditions : Temp 25-28 SG 1.023-1.25 PH 8.1-8.4 dkh 8-12
For good health Calcium ,strontium and trace elements should be added.
U can also feed them micro-plankton or brine shrimp while its tentacles are extended.

Reaction score
Thanks Guys

Been dosing with Kalkwasser (along with others), hope to see an improvement. What is the correct mixing method for kalkwasser, LFS told me to add 1tsp to a little vinegar and then mix with 2L RO, and dose slowly over several hours, is this correct?

Is there a site where one can view pic of corals and there names?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Justin - the mixture for kalkwasser seems to be 100% - just keep monitoring your pH and calcium levels while dosing kalkwasser - because both these parameters are affected by kalkwasser....

I am looking for a link now for coral id...

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks Guys

Been dosing with Kalkwasser (along with others), hope to see an improvement. What is the correct mixing method for kalkwasser, LFS told me to add 1tsp to a little vinegar and then mix with 2L RO, and dose slowly over several hours, is this correct?

Is there a site where one can view pic of corals and there names?
The vinegar mix sounds right.

UltimateReef.com - The UK's premier online reef keeping community - Reef tank help & advice have an awesome coral ID gallery on their forum, just don't forget to come back to MASA :p