Pincushion help

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Zane de Beer, 5 May 2011.

1. Zane de Beer

Zane de Beer

Hey all,

Our pincushion has been looking funny the last couple of days (almost a week now) Although we've only had it a couple of weeks, the first couple of days is was 100%. I'm not sure if it is molting or if it is dying. I would appreciate it if one of the gurus can have a look at the pic an tell me what's up. All the water parameters is in check.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Looks like it's could be shedding Zane. Just direct a powerhead in It's direction and maybe flick your hand over it to create some flow and see what somes off. If it's just the white crusty looking stuff on the top its just shedding but if tissue starts falling off the top then there is a problem with the pincushion and it's probably dying

4. inflames

inflames

That pincushion really does not look good to me at all! Has the white stuff on the top been getting bigger or is there more of it?

5. maxisoft

maxisoft

Had the exact same problem a few weeks ago... the next stage was massive shrinking, then it disintegrated.... Only thing I can attribute it to is high phos....Which was a little high at the time, and that I had a pair of damsels that tried to host in it. Every other coral in my tank doing well including bta.... Got another pin and its been 2 weeks and it wont come out.... I tried different flows, height, light, etc....Almost giving up on pin cushions....

Good Luck man...hope you have better luck than I had...:thumbup::thumbup:

6. Tony

Tony

Maxisoft, check the lighting you have it under. Sarcos dont tend to like rapid changes in parameters but will acclimate nicely to higher lighting

7. Zane de Beer

Zane de Beer Thread Starter

Thanks all who replied, so far I have not touched the coral.

Tony, I will check if the white crust is loose or not.

8. maxisoft

maxisoft

Well Tony, appreciate your help... and dont mean to hijack this thread.....

Here's a pic of the one that died:

[​IMG]

And here's the new one taken today.... its been like this for 3 weeks...

[​IMG]

I have these corals about 10cm from the surface where 6 x 54w T5's glow 8 hours a day... The leather on the left expands beautifully, the pin... nothing...

9. Tony

Tony

It could have been light shock. The same thing happened to me

10. Tim S

Tim S

Hi all,

Also dont want to hijack this thread but have a similar issue with my pc in the last 2 days and wanted some comment. All the "pins" have been retracted for the past 2 days. have had it for 4 months and had been growing like crazy. All other inmates are well & the only thing I changed was the addition of a phosphate reator about a week ago now. has anyone got some comment as to possible reasons please.

Thanks

11. Tony

Tony

Tim, I doubt it could be the phosphate reactor but the animals do close up every now and then to shed a layer which contains all the stuff the animal wants to get rid of. This happens if the coral is in an area of poor water flow. They can handle intermittent pounding by a wavemaker and this wil keep them from closing up as they waste is removed regularly. Mine was in the path of a vortech so it got hammered every now and then but it loved it

12. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

It could be the phosphate reactor. What media did you use? Alumunium or iron based?

13. Tim S

Tim S

Using Seachem Phosguard. As for the flow it's good as I have 2 MP 40 W's and the PC is perched right on top of the biggest rock.

14. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Seachem phosguard is a aluminium based product and softies are known to shoe signs of displeasure when using it. Some members have even lost their softies due to it. Other leathers might display the same symptoms.

It may not be all doom and gloom and the pin cushion might just be preparing itself for shedding. Just keep an eye on it.

15. Tim S

Tim S

I switch the reactor off this morning to see if this has any effect, but will monitor closely.
    Shot for the advise.

16. Tim S

Tim S

Good news, it was just shedding. A thin layer of skin like substance was shed on Saturday and started extending it's 'pins' again. Not to full glory yet but a lot better. Very happy..:thumbup:

17. Qaiser

Qaiser

Mine does the same but i made a frag of it just in case and the frag seems to be growing. I think it happened after changing my bulbs.

18. Tim S

Tim S

When one frags a pin cushion, does the original specimen regain it's roundish shape again or does it hold the "deformed" shape after fragging?

19. Qaiser

Qaiser

well im not counting on it since mine has been in shrink mode for months but the frag looks like as if its doing well. If the original specimen recovers from the shrinking it should regain its shape. I fragged a very small piece not even noticable on the original specimen. I'd rather be safe and no that i still have a frag if the original dies.

Recent Posts