Pin Cusion advice

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I take it you mean Sarcophyton? toadstool? - i think that is what you call a pin cushion anyway (apologies if not)
They eat light mainly, though you can get marine snow to suppliment your coral's diet (micro fine dust that naturally occurs in the sea, it is minute organisms etc) good lighting (T5's 10,000k) and decent flow but not blasted at them, they like to shed a mucus layer occasionly to clean themselves, so require a good flow to remove this.

Reaction score
I take it you mean Sarcophyton? toadstool? - i think that is what you call a pin cushion anyway (apologies if not)
They eat light mainly, though you can get marine snow to suppliment your coral's diet (micro fine dust that naturally occurs in the sea, it is minute organisms etc) good lighting (T5's 10,000k) and decent flow but not blasted at them, they like to shed a mucus layer occasionly to clean themselves, so require a good flow to remove this.
totally agree, strong light is the best food and a bit of coral frenzy every now and then. These are wicked corals and easy to keep happy.

5284794e14b2b798.jpg

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
These corals are often found in the upper reef zones in the same zones as the SPS corals so they enjoy good light and good water flow
As for feeding i would not worry too much about adding anything just keep your fish well fed and the coral will feed itself from the fish waste.

Reaction score
These corals are often found in the upper reef zones in the same zones as the SPS corals so they enjoy good light and good water flow
As for feeding i would not worry too much about adding anything just keep your fish well fed and the coral will feed itself from the fish waste.
Sorry for butting in, But thank you Allen. I always thought they need low flow, no wonder some of my pin cushions does not want to open. Will move them today and see

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hope you guys don't mind, wanna share some pics of my pin cusion and my clown decided to move in.

DSC00485.gif

DSC00342.gif

DSC00419.gif

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Stunning Pincushion Tobes:thumbup:

Has thats clown taken up residence in it?

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Clowns do often host in these corals if they have no anemone available.