Pin Cushion Questions - Support and Fragging

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Zander Marais, 2 Apr 2015.

1. Zander Marais

Zander Marais

Hi Guys!

Been surfing the net but not finding the answers I need so hope some of you can help me out.

I acquired a pin cushion coral some time ago. Sold as a 'yellow/green pincushion' and it's doing really well. However, when I mounted it to a rock and put it upright, it started bending over around the middle of the base. After a while had completely folded over. Moved it to a spot with lower flow and left it laying on it's side on the sand bed after that, but now the head has extended upwards and is growing quite big so the same thing might happen again in a week or so... It is already in a low flow area. The base just does not seem strong enough to support the head.

My questions are:

When fragging a pin cushion, will the base(stem) grow thicker relative to the head? As in when the head regrows to it's original size before fragging, will the base be thicker than it was before?

How long does it take on average for a fragged mother colony to recover to the state it was in before fragging? Will fragging leave any noticable scars or permanent irregular growths on the mother colony?

And while I am at it... How long does it take for a frag to look like a miniature replica of the mother colony? In other words, until it regrows a proper stem, heals cut marks and has a complete round head? What have you found the optimum frag size to be?

Is there a way, other than reducing the size of the head, to support this coral upright? Or is it destined to lay on its side?

Hope my questions make sense.
    Any advise is welcome.

This is a really great forum and so far has only been helpful!

Thanks in advance.
    Zander

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lourensmocke

lourensmocke

I have the same thing with my pincushions. Will follow your thread. Tx

4. greenie

greenie

I also obtained two frags (+/- 2cm) last November and both has grown now to +/- 10cm. It happened from time to time that they bend over but after a day or two they are upright again. I suggest that you just leave them where they are , they should recover on their own. Mine is not in a very high flow area.

5. Zander Marais

Zander Marais Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. That is pretty good growth! Mine was about 25cm back then, so just starting to get heavy. The flesh was literally tearing as it leaned over. Was too scared to leave it like that any longer so perhaps it would have fixed itself with time.

Laurens what sizes are your cushions? Do they all have the problem?

6. lourensmocke

lourensmocke

Mine is about 15-20 cm and both is doing the same thing in different locations in the tank.

7. Pipefish

Pipefish

Hi
    First of all... When you frag a pincushhion leather you cut about 1cm around the stem and thee piece that you cut of is the frag! When you mount it use a rubber band, because superglue wont work, because this coral sheds to clean itself. The next day the leather frag will start to grow. Good luck with your leathers...:thumbup:

Recent Posts