PietL's Nano

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I started my Aquaria 102 Nano in the beginning of March '15, and posted the first details in my introduction thread. Since then life got a bit busy and I didn't spend much time on the forum, but at least kept the basic tank husbandry up to date. I have also added fans to the lid of the tank which are connected to a STC-1000 controller which did wonders to keep the temperature constant. During the last month or so I spent some more time on the tank and added mushrooms and zoas, so the tank is still a bit bare, and I'm not completely happy with the scaping, but it is a work in progress. After the Dec holiday I have a bit of algae problem (I think due to some overfeeding) and am slowly but surely getting the nitrates down (currently at 10). All other parameters are fine.
Hopefully this year will be better and I can spend some more time on the forum. I am really excited to get the tank a bit more interesting and maybe start working on a upgrade :whistling:.
IMG_8056 (1).jpg

Your nano is doing well! Don't worry about the "maybe" with the upgrade
...those have a tendency to become "definitely yes" :lol:

The slower you take things, the better for the tank.

Do you only have the pair of clowns?

The slower you take things, the better for the tank.

Do you only have the pair of clowns?
I have the two clowns, a skunk cleaner shrimp (he has quite a personality), a fire shrimp, a hermit and a couple of snails which has been in there for at least six months.
Then about three months ago I was talked into buying a Scopas Tang by a LFS owner to help with an green hair algae problem I had. When I got home (300km from the closest LFS) and read up on the tang, I realised that my tank is too small for him, but he has been very happy so far (somehow he is not in the photo). Hopefully I can give him a bigger home soon. Lesson learned in researching before buying.
Then about a week ago I bought a Goby (visible in the picture looking out from under the rock) and a tiger shrimp and added some more snails. So far everyone has been very happy and healthy. It's absolutely fascinating watching the tiger shrimp excavate and even use shells to build burrows.
For now I do not want to add more livestock, but want to get some more corals and work on my scaping, and start planning a bigger tank:biggrin:. The nano is fun and I absolutely love everything in it (except the algae) but I find it very limited filtration wise. I am also not entirely happy with the big synthetic rock and want to replace with real live rock but feel that removing it now and replacing it will only upset everything. I would therefore rather start a new system and do it right from the beginning.

Tank is developing slowly but surely. Got some more corals and a fire goby and six-line wrasse during the last month. Also added carbon to my filtration, and a Jebao RW8 in the display, which works great as long as it is on it's lowest setting.
IMG_8221.jpg

IMG_8210.jpg

_MG_9206.jpg

_MG_9176.jpg

Hi Piet, what exactly are you running in your filter? Tank looks great I'm about to start cycling mine!

Hi Piet, what exactly are you running in your filter? Tank looks great I'm about to start cycling mine!
Thanks. I did not change much from the original AMW102 filtration. Skimmer -> Filter Sponge -> Refugium with sand bed, live rock and cheato (my heater is also in here) -> Ceramic Rings -> Return chamber with return pump. I recently removed some of the ceramic rings (about 5cm) and replaced it with carbon in a filter sock. Since running the carbon my water is a lot clearer.
I clean my filter sponge at least once a week and do weekly 10% water changes. I was initially told not to clean the ceramic rings, but after about a year I took them out and cleaned them in tank water from a water change. I was amazed at how much junk was stuck in there. Will probably do that more often now.
Do you also have an AMW102? If so, here are some things that might help. The tank gets hot very quickly, especially with the lights on, so I added two fans to the lid (one blowing in and the other sucking air out) which are connected to a STC-1000 controller, which works like a charm.
When I started cycling mine I had a lot of micro bubbles coming from the skimmer. My skimmer took almost a month to settle before the bubbles disappeared.
Hope this helps. Good luck with the cycling. Remember, patience is key!

Thanks so much Piet. That's a great help. I also have an AMW102 and was considering going the computer fan route is that what you did? Could you take a pic of your DIY setup if you get a chance?

Thanks so much Piet. That's a great help. I also have an AMW102 and was considering going the computer fan route is that what you did? Could you take a pic of your DIY setup if you get a chance?
No problem, I will take some pictures this afternoon and post them.

Here are some photos of the 60mm computer fans I installed as well as of the STC-1000 controller which controls the fans and the heater. Just check your water level, as the fans do increase the evaporation a bit. On very hot days I have to add up to a liter of RO water.
IMG_8228.jpg IMG_8231.jpg

IMG_8228.jpg

IMG_8231.jpg

Wow that's a neat job! And you reckon no need for a chiller with them running? Did you get your stc 1000 from eBay?

Wow that's a neat job! And you reckon no need for a chiller with them running? Did you get your stc 1000 from eBay?
Thank you. For me, the fans has worked well and does a great job in bringing down the temp. I suppose it depends on how hot the room is where your tank is and at what temperature you want your tank to be. I set my STC-1000 to 25.8 and it then turns the fans on when the temp reaches 26.1. On very hot days the fans work a lot, but it has always managed to bring the temp down, or at least keep it stable. I have never used a chiller, but I think with a chiller you will probably have less evaporation. When going to a bigger tank I would probably consider a chiller, but for now I would rather spend my money on some nice corals.
I ordered my STC-1000 from Reef Aquatics. They are a sponsor here on the forum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom