Pics of first ever tank - 5 months old

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by killer, 14 Sep 2008.

1. killer

killer

Hi all.

Hope these pics attach. First time trying and using quick upload if I can?? Files attached.

Keen to see what people think of my tank. Still very young, only 5 months. Ive had a pretty easy run. Never had water issues, PH, nitrites and nitrates been perfect. Not sure my KH, never tested, but I know I must!! Been adding small fish and little frags almost every week. I dont think Ive rushed, but Im going to slow down now. NO MORE FISH FOR WHILE, they to tempremental. Want to get a few inverts now and add softies. Anyone with little cheap frags they want to get rid off please let me know. I officially have no more money, spent it all on this tank. Only thing I feel is there isnt enough colour. I need green, yellow and blue. Everything seems a little too orange and pink, but time should help that. Let me know what you think and any advise on what to get to give it more colour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19.JPG

7.JPG

14.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Sep 2008
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

looking very nice Killer what is in your sump? look like pebbles or rock

4. IMarine

IMarine

Hi Killer your tank looking excellent for 5 months, but tell me thats not bio balls if it is remove and add a deep sand bed it will be much,much better you see bio balls is a nitrate factory and what you could do as well is add some filter floss but replace every 2nd-3rd day

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I agree with the guys. Remove that stuff from the second compartment. Rather leave it empty for a while, while you start up your DSB.

6. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

looking great man

7. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

Nice! Love Scopas Tangs, really cool fish. That leather is also really nice..
    What's that ontop of the power head?

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Howzit Killer, looking good :thumbup:

What size is your tank? It looks like you're using powerheads to create flow or am I mistaken? When you got some spare $$$ again, why not invest in 2 good flow pumps like Seio or Tunze? Seio's are good value for money and not that expensive ;)

Take a look in the for sale forum :)

9. Falcon

Falcon

nice tank man...i'm suffering from the same problem,I need colour!!!!

why does everyone diss bio balls ?????I have them running for two years and my nitrates are zero,and besides they'll only convert nitrite to nitrate or am i missing something because it's not like the plastic gives of nitrate?:baffled:

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Detritis gets trapped in them causing nitrates to go up. A deep sand bed is much better. What test kit are you using?

11. Warr7207

Warr7207

Very cool tank, only comment, you need loads more live rock ;)

12. Falcon

Falcon

i'm using the sera one.....but if what you saying is true about detritus and other ppl complaining about detritus on the live rock then where is the detritus supposed to go lol sorry if it sounds like a dum question.but in most cases hardly any gets to the skimmer.

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

That's why it's a good idea to blow your rocks with a powerhead once a month to get all the detritus into the water column to hopefully be removed by the skimmer.

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Turkey baster with a needle works lekka, fits nicely in the holes ;)

Falcon, there are worms and other goggos chowing detritis, but it is a good idea to minimize it as much as possible in a enclosed system. That is why it is important to blow your rocks now and then - like Viper said - and to illuminate any other sources that can be a possible cause for high nitrates, like bio balls and ceramic rings etc.
    Some world famous reefing gurus also says NO to bio balls :)

</IMG></IMG>

15. Warr7207

Warr7207

nice idea, but the blaster does become abit of PT, especially for my fingers :whistling:

16. killer

killer Thread Starter

Howzit. Shot for all the comments. Almost everything mentioned is what I already know. Im looking at a Seio 2600, will get it next month. This will sort out my flow. Think I have live rock, might add a bit more but like the landscape. I bought the tank almost as is. As you can see, thick araganite in tank. Was going to take some out and put in sump. I need livesand for sump, i know. Currently using "ceramic pieces" which I got with tank. Funny thing is my water is perfect so wondering why I should change, although i will listening to everyone. I'll prob leave those things in and pour livesand over them. Just bought wimple yesterday, biting my star polyps so a bit worried about that. Hair on pump not sure what it is. Was given it by someone when I bought some coral, grows very quickly, looks quite cool, will actually spread over glass and pump. Who knows what it is? Anyway, comments welcome, looking forward to my tank maturing now over the next few months. Already starting to find things popping up all over the show, getting fun now. Imarine - You gave me the anenoni and came to look at my tank. Might call you for some sand also!

17. Warr7207

Warr7207

What is a wimple ?

18. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

banner fish aka poor mans moorish idol ?

Recent Posts