Pics from Anacapa, CA

Reaction score
Some cold water beauties from Anacapa Island off the coast of California, USA. I had to wear a 7mm wetsuit (ugh!!)... but it was worth it! Please forgive the somewhat poor quality of these photos (I'm still learning how to use my UW rig/camera). Cheers.

749eb728e50418.jpg

749eb72b42ff45.jpg

749eb6c76c7e25.jpg

749eb6d2584797.jpg

749eb6d257b710.jpg

749eb6d2568a4d.jpg

749eb6d2950507.jpg

749eb6d2968400.jpg

749eb700cdb675.jpg

749eb71afe7e1c.jpg

749eb725200ad8.jpg

Great pics Sara!!!!

Here's a quiz for people. What are the Oxygen filled bladders called on the sea kelp? (2nd to last picture)

I think the bladders are properly called vesicles.

Great pic Sihaya, beautiful creatures those nudibranchs, amazing colours.

P.s. in the UK we always wear 7mm wetsuits - or even better dry suits;) the sea temp in the UK is only ever 15C at the warmest time of the year - it is more often much colder.

Some cold water beauties from Anacapa Island off the coast of California, USA. I had to wear a 7mm wetsuit (ugh!!)... but it was worth it! Please forgive the somewhat poor quality of these photos (I'm still learning how to use my UW rig/camera). Cheers.

lol you must be joking:lol:

these pics are awesome...thanks for sharing

Haha, thanks... but to the "discerning" eye, the f-stop is just not set right in most of them (too shallow a depth of field)... not to mention, I took some 300 photos just to get 20 or so decent ones. ::sigh:: Thank god we're not still using film!! :p

P.s. in the UK we always wear 7mm wetsuits - or even better dry suits;) the sea temp in the UK is only ever 15C at the warmest time of the year - it is more often much colder.

Some of the people on the boat were wearing dry suits instead. They did look a lot more confortable...

heheh mike and sihaya, come dive Norway with me, i dont think its the 7mm neoprene that will impress you, its the way they keep the boat engines chopping the ice up :)

but those pics really are lovely Sihaya, i think you are way to hard on your own skills.

the nudi's in particular are brilliant, such a pitty we cant keep them in captive aquariums, really are incredible colours :)

thanks for sharing

Hi guys,

Thanks for the lovely photos. There a lot of us out there who don't know about that fancies. Please put more pics on for our guys who is to s**t scared to dive. We will enjoy all the pics.

WOW Sara! These pics are AMAZING! Would you mind if I use it in the magazine? We now have official magazine email addy's! ;)
IF YOU AGREE - You can email the originals to: editor@aquatic-fanatic.co.za

Many thanks again! Awesome pics!

such a pitty we cant keep them in captive aquariums,
Funny you should say that... my boyfriend (Scott Vallembois) and I, are currently contemplating what it would take to keep those "Spanish Shaws" in a biotope of our own design. The real question is, what do they eat? And... how do we ensure a constant supply of whatever it is they do eat? Since we live so close to the coast, we are thinking we might be able to figure something out (food wise). However, the unfortunate truth is that, even well fed adults only live 2-3 years even in captivity. So we'd like to be able to set up a captive habitat in which they can both live and breed (so that we always have them). Of course, we could always just keep collecting them, but that would be cheating...

those are awesome closeups, what cam u using?

I use a Nikon D90 in an Iklite housing, with one 125 strobe... I used a 60mm macro lens of these shots. It really is an awesome camera and I love the 60mm lens!

Funny you should say that... my boyfriend (Scott Vallembois) and I, are currently contemplating what it would take to keep those "Spanish Shaws" in a biotope of our own design. The real question is, what do they eat? And... how do we ensure a constant supply of whatever it is they do eat? Since we live so close to the coast, we are thinking we might be able to figure something out (food wise). However, the unfortunate truth is that, even well fed adults only live 2-3 years even in captivity. So we'd like to be able to set up a captive habitat in which they can both live and breed (so that we always have them). Of course, we could always just keep collecting them, but that would be cheating...
Not aiming for much are you LOL.

Back
Top Bottom