PICOdilly builds a Nano

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by PICOdilly, 3 Mar 2018.

1. PICOdilly

PICOdilly

Hi. So here is the start of my 40cm x 40cm x 40cm 48 litre Nano. It will be fitted with a 40cm x 40cm x 10cm rear chamber to house hardware. Once I've got all the goodies together I will post a more pics of everything. I've included a pic of my 5.5lt Pico I had a few years ago. Been a while so I will be learning all over again so please keep the advice coming. I'm very blessed to have Qball helping with this setup and hooking me up with everything I need. IMG-20180301-WA0050.jpg FB_IMG_1515656827118.jpg FB_IMG_1515656871825.jpg FB_IMG_1515656791912.jpg

2. Guest

3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Good luck with your new build. Is that an auto top-up in the last pic?

PICOdilly likes this.
  4. OP
    PICOdilly

PICOdilly

Yep it is a auto top made from a float switch that is connected to a air pump that is connected to a whiskey bottle filled with RO water. It had a non return valve fitted. Worked like a bomb without 1 mishap in all the time I used it. I'm thinking of doing the same with my nano

Renald likes this.
  5. viper357

Sounds interesting, did it work by pumping air into the bottle which forced the water out?

6. OP
    PICOdilly

PICOdilly

Yeah. Bottle had a cork lid so it sealed nicely. Pipe from pump just entered the bottle without touching water. It pressurised the bottle. The top up pipe was submerged in the RO water and had a non return valve on it so the top up was instant when the air pump turned on and could not siphon back. It's such a efficient system that cost hardly anything to build.

7. viper357

Nice, such a simple setup. I wouldn't have thought an airpump would have had enough power to do that.

8. OP
    PICOdilly

PICOdilly

I'm not sure how it would work on a larger container but it worked perfect on the 750ml glass bottle. I also used the smallest air pump I could find so maybe a bigger pump with both outlets connected to the container will give a higher pressure

jclaas and viper357 like this.
  9. jclaas

jclaas

Welcome back @PICOdilly finally another local! Tagging along with this 1... have you got any plans yet for type of rock and aquascape?

PICOdilly likes this.
  10. OP
    PICOdilly

PICOdilly

Howzit my fellow Slumdog. Just left Qball at Pampered Pets. I've decided to go with black argonite and LR. Going to Acid bath the LR so it's completely clean to start. I want to stock Fish, invertebrates and corals. It's been a while since I've done this so all advise will be great. Busy waiting for the stand to be completed so I can measure up for the custom bracket I want to make for the LED'S. Want to make a bracket that swivels left and right so it can be moved to the side when I need to work on the tank. Planing on doing it out of stainless steel.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2018
    jclaas likes this.
  11. jclaas

jclaas

Haha yes man!

The black aragonite will definitely give a nice contrast making the corals pop I think his coral tank has it in too.

I like the island aquascape for tanks there' also the stone fix one can use to build some awesome structures!

What leds are you going to be running diy?

A mate of mine built a diy stainless less fixture for his pl tubes on a small tank not quite the whole swivel thing but I'll post any way maybe it sparks something for your design.

IMG-20180222-WA0018.jpg

PICOdilly likes this.
  12. OP
    PICOdilly

PICOdilly

Yes same argonite as his coral tank. I love the island scaling as well. These are the LED units. I have no idea what they are called and how they operate. Cuan is helping out with pretty much everything I need to set up and as time goes along and I can afford to I'll upgrade where necessary. I am very grateful for what he us doing for me. IMG-20180212-WA0009.jpg

Last edited: 9 Mar 2018
    jclaas likes this.
  13. Waldip

Waldip

I'm also tagging in here, tryin to learn as much as possible. What colour are those LED light? And price if I may ask?

PICOdilly likes this.
  14. OP
    PICOdilly

PICOdilly

No prob tag along and we can learn together. For now all I know they have 4 royal blue LED's an 2 white LED's. I'll confirm price for you from LFS

15. Waldip

Waldip

Thanks man I'd appriciate it. Yeah I'm new to this, I have had planted tanks for a while and was always scared of the pricing around marine but recently after doing some reading and searching it seems that isnt really the case... planning on building a 100L-ish AIO tank within the next two months. To start paving my way into this marine world. Gonna setup a small 15 or 20L tank this week to see how the tank cycles and what not, then also use it as a quarantine tank going forward.

PICOdilly likes this.
  16. OP
    PICOdilly

PICOdilly

Maybe something I should mention right from the beginning is that this is going to be a very low budget build and the initial setup is really only possible due to Cuan and Leandra from Pampered Pets helping me out tremendously with giving me pretty much all the hardware and LR as well as other stuff to. Also Cuan has been so generous with sharing his knowledge with me as well.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2018
    Waldip likes this.
  17. OP
    PICOdilly

PICOdilly

Unfortunately this hobby can become a bottomless money pit if you let it. Yes there are nice gadgets and toys out there but a person can achieve a pretty decent setup without selling the house to fund it. Dont try go to BIG but rather build something that will suit your budget. Another thing is guys are always upgrading so keep your eyes open for good second hand stuff. For example my "LED" unit on my Pico was a ordinary 10 watt security light that I fitted with a opaque royal blue piece of perspex that I drilled with about 50 tiny holes. This allowed white light as well blue light to shine in my Pico. I ran the tank for over a year like this and had no issues with my corals. It wasn't perfect but allowed me to have a nice display on a tight budget. Also as you can see in my pics my auto top up was made from a air pump, float switch and whiskey bottle. Cheap as chips yet vey effective.

18. OP
    PICOdilly

PICOdilly

Not to much happening my side this week so I'll be trolling everybody's else's threads this week. Lots to learn again and boy is the stuff I'm seeing inspirational.

19. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Cute little setup you got going. I love your "dosing" container :lol:

PICOdilly likes this.
  20. jclaas

jclaas

Please do that and also comment if you want because this forum can do with as much participation as possible especially now that we have things like whatsapphire groups and facebook groups gaining first preference. Even though i participate in these groups to imo these types of groups are convenient but what I don't like is having to scroll through tons of useless info or scroll till you blue in the face till you find the info you were looking for.

PICOdilly likes this.
  21. OP
    PICOdilly

PICOdilly

Lol thanks was great fun preparing the container This was my old Pico but thinking of doing the same for my Nano

Recent Posts