Pick's of my tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Lobster, 29 Mar 2010.

1. Lobster

Lobster

Hi all
    Here are some pick's of my tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thanks
    Lobster

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Mar 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Enough rock. That is for sure.

A wall like that, not for me. I have urchins that will surely topple it, creating a rock fall.

How stable is the rocks. Are they tied, or drilled and plastic rod in them. Or are you sure they will not do a rockslide?

Seems that it is not stacked up againsts the back glass. That is good. Although some guys like that, but not for me. Too many dead spots or slow water moving spots that could lead to detritus collection points. But again a sloped design against the back glass do gve a lot more depth perception and a lot more hiding places.

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I agree with Riaan, I would space the rocks out a bit more to create better flow inbetween and maybe a cave or two or even a swim through between to mountains :)
    Also those pumps you have on the inside is not ideal for good flow. You need to get pumps with big outlets like Tunze, Seio or sunsuns to create chaotic random flow. Those pumps only give a jet-like stream :(

Here's an old model Seio

[​IMG]

And here are the new Seio prop models

[​IMG]

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

How old is your tank? Is that a clown in there? Please complete the cycle process first before adding other fish. In your "hello" thread you said 2 days ago that your tank is cycling.

How is your sump layout. Is that a bioball chamber on the left?
    You got some serious pipework down there. Need a roadmap to explain. :)

6. Lobster

Lobster Thread Starter

Hi RiaanP
    The tank is about 10 years old.(had fresh water fishes in there)
    and yes i did tried before to keep marines but no luck.
    (Worked alot away from home).

The Clown was taken out yesterday (moved to my hospital tank)and yes that is a Bioball chamber that will be modified once my tank have finnished the cycle process.There is no bioballs in at the moment only crushed aragonite (small bags).

This compartment will be my skimmer department and the space where the skimmer was origanily will be my new DSB.Well to be nice about your input on my plumbing,its working and the water don't need a roadmap.

What do you all think about using sand from Langebaan lagoon for my DSB?
    Thanks
    Lobster

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

:) I think Riaan was refering to a roadmap for our understanding of how the sump works.... We are always interested in unusual ways of doing things, and your sump is certainly not a "standard sump" with skimmer to dsb to return chambers.... perhaps you could give us the low down on how your sump works?

I quite like the wall structure, it has limitations as Riaan has said but there is no style of scaling that does not have limitations, the good thing is that there is a lot of hiding space for your fish !

Having been a fresh water system, did you ever treat the tank with copper based meds at any time? as this is deadly to marine invertebrates !

Oh and welcome to MASA is i have not already welcomed you !:thumbup:

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes, It looks like a highway interchange with building alterations.:)

But I see all the reactors all connected. Pump driven. And using cheaper connectors, looks like those used for garden irrigations. A lot cheaper with same result, why not. Should also be a lot easier to alter and no use of PVC weld. So no throw away connections when changing something. Good idea. And if it does drip, who cares, its inside the sump anyway.:thumbup:

Recent Posts