Picasso Triggers and much more

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by seank, 20 Dec 2011.

1. seank

seank

I took the wife and kids for a snorkel today (this afternoon) and all I can say is wow.
    I had the privilege to swim amongst more than a hundred Picasso Triggerfish, all different sizes, Powder Blues by the dozen, different Wrasse, including the most beautiful blue colored wrasse- looks like lunar but the same colors as powder blue tangs. Bird Wrasse, some sort of wrasse that has a "unicorn" horn on its nose etc.

We swam with Lionfish-plenty of-, Parrots, Angels the size of a dinner plate, Surgeons, Blue Chromis, 04 different Butterflies species, a variety of Damsels, Clown Surgeons, Humongous Stonefish of different colors, etc etc etc.
    We counted about 30 different species, and I must admit that this was a first for me, to see soooo much variety. Alida tried to work out the total value if one would add value to the fish, and it came to well over a hundred thousand smackaroos..... interesting.

The kids loved it, especially the eels, as they swam with us, close up encounters. We saw Ignoblis Kingfish the size of a surfboard, cruising slowly past us as if they really were the kings of the ocean. What an awesome experience. Long time since I have seen such a variety of reef fish. And right on our own doorstep. @nemosjanitor.... eat your heart out :tt2:

And noooo, I would not take one, as this was better than my tank... best be left where they are happy :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SteveZi

SteveZi

fantastic. I am so very jealous.

had a fun day myself, sitting in the office.
    at some point a few auditors walked past...

Where did you snorkel Sean?

4. seank

seank Thread Starter

:lol: I worked too, but took off at 14h00 to take the wife and kids for a special treat, and as it was getting towards low tide.
    Btw, I stood in the blazing sun the whole day... no office in da bush, let alone aircon etc :(

Way North of Durban :p :whistling:

5. Jcc

Jcc

Sean that is an awsome spot. Keep it safe. I snorkeled it last year and was really impressed with the life. Did you see the size on some of those tangs? There is also a few cleaning station where the tangs stop
    To be cleaned by wrasses. I didnt see any powder blues but picassos were a lot. Dont bother them they did attack me haha

6. SteveZi

SteveZi

I tell you , there's nothing worse than an aircon. my sinuses are permanently stuffed.

7. Jcc

Jcc

There is also a nice other spot you should know about where there you can dive. Its about 1hr drive. You do
    Get great specimens there. I tried catching gt there but then decided to dive and wow

8. seank

seank Thread Starter

I did, they will give you a good run on Light tackle rod and reel. I saw the cleaning stations, plenty of, and busy...lol

I got nibbled by a couple of Angels, sneaky bastards.... almost crapped myself, thought it was the eel

Yes, we are going there tomorrow, it is about 15 minutes from where I am building the 01 school... so, first off to site, and the to show the kids around

9. seank

seank Thread Starter

Ok, I am off to the great outdoors. Pity I never thought of bringing my underwater camera, and a pity the N8 IS NOT WATERPROOF...sad.

10. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

u tease us with those comments and no pics..................................I hate you!!!!!

Landu likes this.
  11. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

...Sounds a lot like the Kosi Estuary. No collecting there as it's a reserve...

12. seank

seank Thread Starter

Sorry, no pics, but take my word if I say it is awesome, and the place we snorkelled today, was even better, swam amongst Pin cushions the size of a 4x4 tyre, red urchins, goldies, chromis, flies, angels etc etc etc

[​IMG]

P.S.
    It was not in the reserve ;)

Last edited: 21 Dec 2011
  13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

[​IMG]
    ;)[/quote]

Cool smilies.:thumbup:

Last edited: 21 Dec 2011
  14. Jcc

Jcc