Picasso Trigger

LCornelius

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 1.5m mixed reef tank. Softy dominated with few SPS.

Current stock:
3 x Yellow tangs
2 x Regal tangs
1 x Powder blue
1 x Blonde Naso tang
1 x Watchmen goby
2 x Cleaner shrimp

Since starting marines I always wanted a Picasso, so if I get a small one?
Do you think he will be fine with my tangs?

Still going to add 2 clowns and a flame angel.

I think you might be taking a bit chance putting a picasso in there, but if you get a small one it might be ok (it really depends on the individual you end up with). Its a bit of a 'hit or miss' kind of situation, ive seen them in some tanks where they dont hassel the other fish at all and then ive seen the complete opposite as well where they destroy every other fish in the tank, but thats just my opinion :)

I had a real tinny one in my previous 450l setup, he was about 4cm when I got him and he grew a few cm and behaved until the day I took the tank down.
Never bothered any of my shrimps or snails except for the stomatella snails. And I had tiny peppermint shrimps with him.

I had a real tinny one in my previous 450l setup, he was about 4cm when I got him and he grew a few cm and behaved until the day I took the tank down.
Never bothered any of my shrimps or snails except for the stomatella snails. And I had tiny peppermint shrimps with him.

Thanks for the info Keanan, the one I saw yesterday is about 2cm.
I just love their personalities!

with 7 large fish in a 1.5m tank already i think you are over stocking. Adding a fish one should look at its overall adult size, not the size of introduction (these things grow bigger...) andplanning on adding a fish cause its small and might fit (still a might) is poor planning in my view. Plan your stocking in accordance with the fish you would like to see in that tank 5 years from now, and those which fit when fully grown.

the other aspect to think about with a Picasso is that they are generally 'messy' feeders and have a tendancy to leave alot of small food particles in the water, which is fine if you have a good clean up crew (which are normally eaten by triggers!) or else you need to plan increased filtration aspects.

Your crustaceans and small fish might not love you for the itroduction either.

In all Id suggest skipping this fish, or upgrading to a bigger tank:)

with 7 large fish in a 1.5m tank already i think you are over stocking. Adding a fish one should look at its overall adult size, not the size of introduction (these things grow bigger...) andplanning on adding a fish cause its small and might fit (still a might) is poor planning in my view. Plan your stocking in accordance with the fish you would like to see in that tank 5 years from now, and those which fit when fully grown.

the other aspect to think about with a Picasso is that they are generally 'messy' feeders and have a tendancy to leave alot of small food particles in the water, which is fine if you have a good clean up crew (which are normally eaten by triggers!) or else you need to plan increased filtration aspects.

Your crustaceans and small fish might not love you for the itroduction either.

In all Id suggest skipping this fish, or upgrading to a bigger tank:)

Hi @crispin apreciate your input.
You are correct in your observations.

I knew what he outcome of this thread would have been, just needed to hear it :thumbup:

My skimmer is rated for double my water volume and running 2kgs of cubes.
I feed heavy and so far my filtration have been working like a charm!

Will follow your advice and give the picasso a skip.

Will upgrade my tank to a 2.5m or 3m in the next 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom