picasso trigger

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by magman, 23 Nov 2009.

1. magman

magman

Hi Guys,

I have a picasso trigger, currently it's in my sump (it has a square 50l swimming space so is happy in the meantime), will he be reef safe in that he wont touch my cleaner shrimp, starfish or hermits, or hassle any of the other fish, or if problems can be expected.

I want to start another tank, for non reefsafe fish, also I find I am always swopping/catching/giving away etc lots of nice fish, ideally it will be an office tank. It will take obviously a few weeks till it's set up and cycled. Is there any risk at all if I gooi him in the big tank, also I was thinking of going about a 150-200l tank, will this be big enough for him, especially as they are a dwarf species, do they grow much at all.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

As far as I know he will indeed eat your shrimps and other invertabrates. Not a good idea to put him with these.

4. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

picasso will kill all your shrimps...and will kill some fish depending on its mood.

i have a client with 2 picasso's in his tank...and they are very friendly regarding the other fish....but i had a trigger in my stock tank and he harassed every fish that he saw

5. FransSny

FransSny

magman I am with Lanzo on this, mine never hassled anything in my tank and was a real sweety pie....BUT I have also heard horror stories of them taking a whole tank apart (especially as they grow bigger, more territorial etc)

"normally" they are quite fine in the beginning if you add them last but with any predator you have no guarantees.

If you value your invertabrates, I would say rather let him go to a reefer with a setup especially for this

6. magman

magman Thread Starter

thanks guys, I will definatly leave him out the main then, he is still obviously small, only 30mm, but would a 4 foot tank be fine? How big do they grow?

7. FransSny

FransSny

Think its going to be too small bro, they grow to about 25 cm (Very quickly) & I wouldnt try to house one in less than 250 L of water

Also keep in mind as they eat a lot they put a lot of strain on your system, thus good filtrations is needed

8. Pads

Pads

Hey dude. Mine I've had for a year and relatively little growth. I was wondering the same question and I opted not to add any other inverts apart from the few hermits and snails I have. My picasso is very calm with all the other fish and I can easily say its the most placid in the tank but I would chance it with the inverts. It seems the temperament
    can change dramatically from one fish to another. Best leave it out.

Recent Posts