Picasso Clown fish - Are they available in SA?

Reaction score
Still haven't stocked my 24G Nano! So many choices ;)

Are picasso clownfish available in SA?

I don't think a 24gal nano is a suitable tank for a picasso Matt, they not only get rather big, they are also psychotic, are very likely to eat small fish and can grow to 300mm.

Are you talking about a normal clownfish or a picasso triggerfish?

I don't think a 24gal nano is a suitable tank for a picasso Matt, they not only get rather big, they are also psychotic, are very likely to eat small fish and can grow to 300mm.

Wee-Man sure you not thinking of a picasso trigger? I think the Percula Clown is sometimes called the picasso clown, if thats the case are are available in SA.

Yes its a clownfish. Let me try find a pic, looks quite unique for clownfish!

Wee-Man sure you not thinking of a picasso trigger? I think the Percula Clown is sometimes called the picasso clown, if thats the case are are available in SA.

Must admit, i saw "Picasso" and thought of trigger, so i put the warning up:)

newFTStoday-1.jpg

Two picasso clownfishes :)

Are they available here in sa?

Sorry, should have known you were not talking about triggers as you are doing your research properly.

They are available but quite scarce so you need to keep your eyes open

No worries, I can understand the way everyone reacted beause unfortunately there are so many people who blunder into this hobby without knowing what they are doing (and unfortunately there are so many LFS's that don't correct them) and thats why there are so many disasters. - of course I can't generalize because there are many fantastic LFS's, its just sad because people often dont know what they are doing.

Well I am stocking this tank with coral etc etc, in no rush so I suppose I can wait for some picasso clowns to come in no probs! :thumbup: Either that or i'll go for true percs (love the bit of black)

clowns-now1.jpg

Pic from HelfrichChick on reefcentral.com.

WOW! Bet they'd cost an arm and a leg!

WOW! Cool! I too made the mistake - must apologize....
I too thought you (Matt) meant the clown trigger.

GEEZ! I must admit - I have NEVER seen this type of clown ever - not in the trade, neither in someone's tank....

I would be intrigued to know IF anyone in SA ever saw such a species of clown anywhere in a shop or LFS? Or even in someone else's tank?

Seen them at Exotic in their nano display tanks

No those are true percs, definitely not picasso clownfish. The ones at Exotic have a thick black band, but no white on at all.

Still they are very attractive fish! If I cannot get hold of some picasso's, i'll buy some true percs!

Are the picasso's not just a colour variation of the true percs, if not what is the scientific name?

moz: Not too sure, the true percs don't have that vivid white... And in the states fetch quite a price, so i'm sure its not just a colour variation

Ok, just some quick research, it seems like the picasso's are colour variations of the percs bread by ORA in the USA, here is an insert from their site

"The Picasso Percula is a selectively bred True Percula Clownfish with erratic misbarring, similar to a jigsaw puzzle piece, covering over 75% of its body. A very small percentage of offspring of Picasso pairs retain these characteristics. Each fish is unique with its own distinctive misbarring. Because of the limited occurrence of the misbarring, availability of the Picasso Percula is limited."

Good luck in finding them. Hell, in the US they are about $100 each.

Sorry, should have known you were not talking about triggers as you are doing your research properly.

They are available but quite scarce so you need to keep your eyes open

I was looking at the species name when I made my comment. Seeing as they are a specific colour morph I would have to go with all the others and say good luck in finding one.

Back
Top Bottom