Pic Guru's put your hands up

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Nemos Janitor, 17 May 2009.

1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

? Who on this forum consider themselves knowledgeable in marine Pic taking?

I have seen some awesome pic's come out of the closet from MASA members. So lets have a competition, for the Pic of the month.

Come on Mod's set it up along with the rules.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

nemo's to be honest we bashed the idea of a pic of the month comp a while back (mid 2008) and it was decided not to go for it. I know sark does one, but i for one have certainly stopped competing with pics. I take pics cause it increases my awearness of my tank, is a great way of recording a tanks life line and because I love the facinating creatchures we have in a tank.

i think there are a few guys who take good pics, a few guys take alot of pics (i fall into this catagory) and thus get a few good images, and then there are guys who take any sort of pic depending on the phone they are holding :)

the mods have been talking about allocating a forum on photography to a few good photographers (2 or three i think) so that they can preview and advise others on possible finer aspects of photography. I think a team of guys would serve MASA better than a pic of the month comp as such.

PS this is def all my own understanding and not official view point as I am NOT a mod and am NOT part of the decision making aspects, its just what I recall being spoken about :)

4. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Agree with Crispin on this, there will only be one or two people winning every month.

On a slightly different angle - what about a 2010 MASA calander, with pics submitted by members. This way, if each member may only have one "winning" photo, there will be at least 12 "winners", AND MASA can make some money by selling the calanders.

Hennie

5. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

BRILLIANT IDEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::yeahdude:

6. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Reef Maniac that's more like it a very good idea

7. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Pretty much what Crispin said... Besides he has so many good pics he'd win every month ;)

I'd prefer to have something more like a pic of the week/month where there's a "challenge" to take pics of a certain thing, kinda like Crispin does with himself :p (fish mouths, eyes, etc). That way there are no winners and losers and hopefully it keeps everythings interest in photography up because one of the difficult things to find with photography is inspiration...

8. crispin

crispin

if i were to win a comp then the stadard of entry is simply low, not cause i am hitting good pics.

but yes, taking a specific theme and trying to capture that is tough and fun....the eye stripes I tried to pgotograph a while back, or front on pics, and it was fun seeing the pics people came with :) nice threads all of those :)

i think the photography should be kept for the fun of it, although i must confess there are some really awesum pics on sark that pushed me to concerntrate more in order to be competitive or to strive to do things better.

i think thats what we should aim at doing, encouraging others to think about a specific aspect of there photography to improve it....

although being able to use the good pics on MASA for a callander for the site to help pay its expenses is a great idea :)

9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yip, some awesome pics out there.

Good idea, I will get onto it immediately.

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

There goes Sunday evening for us Mods :(

Recent Posts