Phytoplankton reactor

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Warr7207, 5 Mar 2008.

1. Warr7207

Warr7207

DIY Gurus: Anyone made a Phto Reactor ? Is it something we can do in RSA ? Will I be able to get culture or stock to start the reactor up ?

green water ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alfie

Alfie

Warr, I don't know if you can get a culture in JHB but you can gt a any of the aquriums.

The main culture that you get you place in say a 5l see through plastic container. In the lid you make two holes. In the one you feed ait via an air pump with a small tube which goes right to the bottom of the container, this is for water circulation. The other whole is for the air to escape.

I use 3 units like this. As mentioned the first is for the main culture and the other 2 are for producing more culture. When the main cultur goes nice and dark green I pour about a third into the next container which is then filled with RO and closed in the same manner and then allowed to grow. The growth period takes about a week. that is to grow from light green to dark green. I run a 6500k flroresent tube behind them as this is essential for growth. For best results they should get about 16 hours of light a day.

You dont have rapid evaporation put you do so every now and then you must top up the water in the bottles with RO.

Once I have all the containers ready I start to use it. I never use from the culture as this I use to keep making new water for the other containers

4. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

Thanks Alfie that is really cool info. Need to just work out getting that culture. :thumbup:

5. Alfie

Alfie

If you go to Durban arrange with the aquarium and on your way back pick up a container or 2 from them. It will be fine to travel and you can just add air and light when you get home.

6. abgg118

abgg118 MASA Contributor

Warren, I have greenwater culture. I could give you some to start you up. I culture greenwater and rotifers, although my rotifers are "resting cysts" at the moment.

Warr7207 likes this.
  7. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

abgg118, thanks alot, I will drop you a PM soon as I have the reactor/s ready for green production.

Nice One :thumbup::thumbup:

Recent Posts