Photoperiods

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Warr7207, 4 Mar 2008.

1. Warr7207

Warr7207

I am reading the book of coral propagation. There is mention of doubling up on a 24 hour photoperiods. Basically 6 hour lights on and 6 hours darkness.

Apparently increases coral growth

Any experiences or comments with this kind of lighting setups

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. cybervic

cybervic

Like shorter days for your corals. What are the effects in the long run on the corals?

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

I would say long term a negative affect, the shorter day is clearly designed to fool the coral to release eggs/sperm, the affect could be to stress the coral into an emergency breeding pattern, anemones will split (reproduce) if stressed, i have read that nem' farms regularly poke nems with the effect being that they split to produce more nems.
    Sounds a bit like factory farming, which in the UK is being stopped due to negative affects on the animals, especially chickens

5. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

Totally makes sense, I suppose it is from a propagation book, where the aim is to get reproduction and growth at full tilt.

6. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Yep, long term it may help with the survival of some species, but short term for the actual coral it may not be so good.

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Another thing Warr - most animal-life (fauna) actually do their GROWING at night-time. With some corals, this could be reversed, as some corals do their feeding at night-time (and growing in day-time - therefore the coral polyps not coming out in the day, BUT, the zooxanthellae still produces energy for the corals to continue growing)....

So - basically - these people are trying to "play around" with this growing cycle. They most likely have their coral farms in rooms that are completely dark 24x7. That they (the farmers) can manually control the day/night cycle whenever they want to.....

This could work, but would require some setup to achieve.....

Recent Posts