Photoperiods

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
I am reading the book of coral propagation. There is mention of doubling up on a 24 hour photoperiods. Basically 6 hour lights on and 6 hours darkness.

Apparently increases coral growth

Any experiences or comments with this kind of lighting setups

cybervic

Damsel
Reaction score
Like shorter days for your corals. What are the effects in the long run on the corals?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Like shorter days for your corals. What are the effects in the long run on the corals?
I would say long term a negative affect, the shorter day is clearly designed to fool the coral to release eggs/sperm, the affect could be to stress the coral into an emergency breeding pattern, anemones will split (reproduce) if stressed, i have read that nem' farms regularly poke nems with the effect being that they split to produce more nems.
Sounds a bit like factory farming, which in the UK is being stopped due to negative affects on the animals, especially chickens

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
I would say long term a negative affect, the shorter day is clearly designed to fool the coral to release eggs/sperm, the affect could be to stress the coral into an emergency breeding pattern, anemones will split (reproduce) if stressed, i have read that nem' farms regularly poke nems with the effect being that they split to produce more nems.
Sounds a bit like factory farming, which in the UK is being stopped due to negative affects on the animals, especially chickens
Totally makes sense, I suppose it is from a propagation book, where the aim is to get reproduction and growth at full tilt.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Totally makes sense, I suppose it is from a propagation book, where the aim is to get reproduction and growth at full tilt.
Yep, long term it may help with the survival of some species, but short term for the actual coral it may not be so good.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Another thing Warr - most animal-life (fauna) actually do their GROWING at night-time. With some corals, this could be reversed, as some corals do their feeding at night-time (and growing in day-time - therefore the coral polyps not coming out in the day, BUT, the zooxanthellae still produces energy for the corals to continue growing)....

So - basically - these people are trying to "play around" with this growing cycle. They most likely have their coral farms in rooms that are completely dark 24x7. That they (the farmers) can manually control the day/night cycle whenever they want to.....

This could work, but would require some setup to achieve.....