Photoperiod?

moz

Reaction score
What would be the minimum Photoperiod for a typical reef tank, interested as a regards to power saving (rationing?) and keeping my tank free of algae. Currently have Colt, pulsing Xenia, Star Polyps and a Green Bubble Coral. Current lighting 300W MH's.

IMO 5-8Hours
I had algae problem ones, and i ran my MH for only 5 Hours a day for 2 months, and none of my corals was effrcted by this.

Hi Moz - If you have metal halides, you can run them for a max period of 5 hours. BUT, I would suggest running the fluorescents for at least 8 hours in the day (ie. start the fluorescents at say, 11:00am - metal halides on at 4:00pm - metal halides off at 8:00/8:30pm - fluorescents off at 9:30pm).....

Hope that helps.
Jacques

Hi Moz - If you have metal halides, you can run them for a max period of 5 hours. BUT, I would suggest running the fluorescents for at least 8 hours in the day (ie. start the fluorescents at say, 11:00am - metal halides on at 4:00pm - metal halides off at 8:00/8:30pm - fluorescents off at 9:30pm).....

Hope that helps.
Jacques

Do you mean Min period rather than Max ?

Hi Warr - no - if you want to conserve electricity you only have to have the metal halides on for a maximum period of 5 hours. I have read on some biological lab web-site, that the maximum period corals require for photosynthesis is 5:00 hours. Take into account that the sun is ONLY at it's strongest for just about this period in any normal in the tropics. The sun rising to it's highest point, and then setting again to it's lowest point, goes through certain gradients, and only from 45 degrees onwars to 90 degrees, on the y-axis, is when the corals actually have the possibility to photosynthesize - the sun's rays otherwise gets deflected off the water's surface too much, without having a real decent impact on the life below the surface.

I agree with the 5-6hrs on mh and fluorescents for the duration of the time.

Hi Warr - no - if you want to conserve electricity you only have to have the metal halides on for a maximum period of 5 hours. I have read on some biological lab web-site, that the maximum period corals require for photosynthesis is 5:00 hours. Take into account that the sun is ONLY at it's strongest for just about this period in any normal in the tropics. The sun rising to it's highest point, and then setting again to it's lowest point, goes through certain gradients, and only from 45 degrees onwars to 90 degrees, on the y-axis, is when the corals actually have the possibility to photosynthesize - the sun's rays otherwise gets deflected off the water's surface too much, without having a real decent impact on the life below the surface.

Ok, makes sense, so my 8 hours day has been a little overkill

Thanks for info

Thanks guys, at the moment I have the MH's on for four hours, and my fluorescents are in the spare bedroom on the floor:whistling: , time to mount them again.

Our tanks esp. the large systems are going to become a problem with the rationing of electricity.

Our tanks esp. the large systems are going to become a problem with the rationing of electricity.

Alan, for the same amount of light (PAR) would T5's be more economical, or do you need more and end up consuming the same amount of electricity?

A good quality T5 with decent reflectors would work out cheaper on the electricity consumption.

Back
Top Bottom