Phosphates VERY high

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just tested my phosphates this morning and noticed this very high ??? Changes to my tank in the last few days ????

PO4 very high, NO3 seem ok ???

30:06:2008 - Added activated carbon - soaked in RO for 24 hours as advised ?
30:06:2008 - 10% NSW change from 2 oceans aquar

What is the best that I can add to remove this ?

01072008147.jpg

01072008148.jpg

10% water changes everyday. make sure you are NOT using hte water from the Preditor tank at 2OC. Feed less, but feed twice a day, thus no food goes to waste in the tank.

hi there, I just did a 10% water change yesterday ??? Is it wise to do another ???

Thanks for the reply

Henk, I am using water from 20C ??? Where is that place in sea point which is the alternative ? What road is it in ???? I will get another 10% there today ???

i'm not 100% sure carbon will remove PO4....

Yes a 10% water change everyday... how big is the tank? i strongly suggest you use a good synthetic to avoid introducing any phosphates that might be in the 2oc water supply....

Henk, also I only have 3 hermits in tank and 1 lawnmower blennie ? So I'm not feeding at all ???

you are thinking of a research guys. they are on beach road. Between the Penisuala hotel and the ocean... like a low rise 1 and a half story building built on what looks more like an island in the road :p

if you arent feeding at all then there is either major die-off on the LR or something VERY wrong with your water supply

Ok, I will try to find them and will do a 10% change with their water ???? Should I also add in some phospahte remover and if yes what is the recommended brand I use ???

sorry for my ignorance but wont die off on LR cause ammonia, no2 and no3 ??? Will it also affect PO4 ???

Did add about 1kg of figi into my refuge on sat ???? but the LR looked good qual ???

yea most def.... add Seachem Phosguard and some purigen as well.... its beginning of the month so the bank balance should allow for purigen :p

You should really think about using synthetic salt and mix your own water. In one of the threads they were talking about phosphate problems with the water from 2 oceans. Seachem phosguard is a very good product.

Ok will do, thanks for the help guys ??? What will we do without this forum ??????

Already have some purigen in there ?

BTW its a 130L TL-550 nano

PhosGuard™ rapidly removes phosphate and silicate from marine and freshwater aquaria. It is not recommended for phosphate buffered freshwater. PhosGuard™ is highly porous for high capacity and bead-shaped for optimum water flow. It outperforms all competing products. 500 mL easily treats over 150 gallons*. This product is sold by volume. Cited weight is minimal weight.

Hi,
I am a newbee, so do not take my word. I remember reading on the net about this. Had same problem with my Nano after adding Activated carbon. SERA test kits not accurate IMO to start with if looking at the lower ranges.

How Often Should Carbon be Used?
The two main concerns about using carbon in a saltwater system is that carbon often leaches phosphate into the aquarium, and that it removes necessary trace elements needed by reef animals, particularly corals.
  • The Phosphate Leaching Issue
    As far as phosphate goes, you want to remove this element from your tank, not add it. A high phosphate accumulation in saltwater aquariums can lead to aggressive hair algae blooms that are difficult to get rid of, and since some brands of carbon may leach phosphate into an aquarium, you should test the carbon you are using, or going to use, for leaching. If you find any relevent traces, change to a different brand.
Test your carbon to make sure yours does not. This is easily done. Here is a quick method that I suggest:
  • Take one quart of distilled or otherwise treated water,
  • add one tablespoon of your carbon to it,
  • let this sit for about one hour,
  • now perform a phosphate test on this mixture,
  • if you find that phosphate levels are >0.05 ppm change brands.
You must realize and be convinced that any source of phosphate entering the tank MUST be eliminated. Carbon is one of them.

READ THIS:

Does a Reef Tank Need Carbon? « Joe Jaworski’s Weblog

For such a small tank go the synthetic salt route, least your water will be constant for at least the amount of salt you buy.

The PO4 is coming from the NSW.

You can also use Pure Reef liquid PO4 remover, to quickly remove the po4, but there after make sure you use a good marine salt - Seachem, Tropic Marin

Back
Top Bottom