Phosphate Reactor advice needed

Reaction score
I have just set up a new tank - about 900l. In my previous tank which was about 500l I used two two little fishies 150 phosban reactors one with carbon and the other with phos remover. If I recall if used for phosphate removers they are rated for about 500l or so - each.
I have also got a reef octo phosphate reactor rated for 2000l and a merlin red sea fluidised filter.
Now my question: Do I use the two 2 little fishies reactors for phos remover and keep the 2000l reef octo one side for a future upgrade?
The problem is if I add the required amount of Extrax Phos in the Reef Oco reactor it looks so empty - can I add a filter sock or two with carbon as well? Or do I chuck the carbon in the inlet into the sump below my filter floss?
Any ideas of what to do with the fluidised filter?

Comments and advice would be appreciated.

I have just set up a new tank - about 900l. In my previous tank which was about 500l I used two two little fishies 150 phosban reactors one with carbon and the other with phos remover. If I recall if used for phosphate removers they are rated for about 500l or so - each.
I have also got a reef octo phosphate reactor rated for 2000l and a merlin red sea fluidised filter.
Now my question: Do I use the two 2 little fishies reactors for phos remover and keep the 2000l reef octo one side for a future upgrade?
The problem is if I add the required amount of Extrax Phos in the Reef Oco reactor it looks so empty - can I add a filter sock or two with carbon as well? Or do I chuck the carbon in the inlet into the sump below my filter floss?
Any ideas of what to do with the fluidised filter?

Comments and advice would be appreciated.
1st Extrax phos is NOT i Repeat NOT to be used in a fluidized reactor, It will grind up as its aluminum based and upset your corals. If you do want to use it make sure that your flow is so slow that none of the media is moving at all. that way it will not grind up and cause issues with your corals - mainly softies it affects.

2ndly the amount you use depends on your phos levels and stocking levels in your tank as well as the amount you feed. If you see that its not working you add more. You could use the old equipment and if you notice your phos levels increase u add more. u can add a little bit of remover at a time and change it out more regularly or use more and change it out less often.

Thanks for that - but have already found that out through trial and error - was not yet a memeber of MASA at the time. I have the three other phos reactors - all of which I needed to tone down the pumps for the same reason as you mentioned - but is there anything else I can use it for?
Are there any other alternatives to extrax phos - something that works better? Dont want to put anyone on the spot here - but some products may work better than others.

of course all the GFO - Granular ferric oxide phos removers work much much better than the aluminum based ones. I used the Alum based in my water boy 2 in 1 with no issues but GFO is much better, There are also new ones on the market as well. Brightwells have a couple that is not aluminum based and can be regenerated, The original Rowaphos is great plus im sure the new one made by the company that brought us N & P pellets will be here soon as well. Any of the sponsors will be able to get these for you

You can use the seachem's SeaGel in the Reef Octo reactor then you are killing two flies with one swipe. It is a blend of MartixCarbon and Phosguard all in one.

Back
Top Bottom