Phosphate/Nitrate reactor Location in Sump

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Charlne, 28 Aug 2012.

1. Charlne

Charlne

Hey guys

i would just like to know in which compartment does a phosphate/nitrate reactor comes.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hi, the generally accepted way to run a sump is:

Water in >> Mechanical Filtration >> Biological Filtration >> Chemical Filtration >> Water out

So it would normally be the 3rd compartment or the last compartment of the sump, where the return pump is.

4. juan R

juan R

Are you going to run the reactors internally or externally? What does your sump setup look like? pics say a thousand words.

5. Charlne

Charlne Thread Starter

O ok, I understand now.....Thank you very much.
    just one more question: Im running DSB filtration systen with a ATS...Is it going to benefit me in any way to install a phosphote/nitrate reactor with NP pellets as a media...
    Ive got chaetos in my DSB also.

6. Charlne

Charlne Thread Starter

short and sweet...First its the inlet from the DT to the skimmer chamber, then its the DSB with chaetos, then its my ATS and then the final chamber with return pump

7. PeterL

PeterL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are pics of the sump, the ats wasnt working for some time but is going to be up and running soon. There is a bubble trap in the middle of the sump and the ATS rests over the top with feed coming from the inlet chamber of the sump. The large light on the right will be coming out and making room where that used to be. These are fairly old pics of the sump but gives you an idea of whats going on.

8. Charlne

Charlne Thread Starter

Ok people....

Would you guys please have a look at the photo's PeterL has sent....That was his tank Im taking over.
    Can anyone tell me where to install the phosphate/nitrate reactor and if its going to benefit me at all...Using NP pellets as A media media.

9. PeterL

PeterL

Taking viper357 suggestion, echo and say it to be in the last chamber, this providing supply straight back to the DT without filtering through the DSB first. The only other compartment available is the inlet but not only is it full but you would then send much or the supply from the reactor to the skimmer. Unfortunately I am not adequately educated to inform if that would have any negative bearing for certain but from my logical understanding point of view, I would think you would not gain from any other placement than the last chamber.

10. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

:tt2:
    :tt2:
    Unless you wanna farm bryopsis

11. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

haha, my farming days are over :p touchwood :eek:

Recent Posts