Phospha - Guard, wow!

I removed the phosphaguard for two days now to see if there is a rise in PO4, but at the same time I am running one of my two cube reactors on a four hour on 4 hour off mode......

Surprise surprise....... 0.00..... @KillerWhale
Still wading through the wealth of info on how to play with cubes and apply what I am dihesting here:

http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/10603/2664/8/08_chapter%205.pdf ,

And Here: http://dyuthi.cusat.ac.in/xmlui/bitstream/handle/purl/117/Dyuthi-T0187.pdf?sequence=7

Not sure which of the threads to post it in......

The idea came to me after @killer Whale proposed the possibility of EBPR due to anoxic conditions as a result from a power cut.

In the second link just posted, there is a significant amount of information on what influences various additions / parameter manipulation had to PO4 uptake / release, etc.

If you read the whole article, you will see why the time on time off idea came to mind.

Its still very early days, and the still undetectable po4 levels could be attributed to purely the cubes still maintaining no3:pO4 uptake based on the Redfield blah blah blah. Have to be realistic, even though our ration of N:p addition is skew, I suspect it will take a while for the excess to start being measureable......
perhaps invest in some mass spectrometry toys.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!! Reading this thread makes my head hurt @irie ivan @KillerWhale ,,, you guys have some serious knowledge when it comes to the chemical part of things. Barely understood half of it, but ja it was lekker to read.
@dallasg is the Phospha-Garud for sale yet? I've bought the Nitra-Gaurd the other day. Would love to get this too.

Last edited:
the chemical part of things.
I thought this was biological stuff, either way, I did not take either at school, so in essence......

Seriously.... Thanks for the compliment ChrisRaubs.... Honestly though, I am merely a fisherman / restauranteur / passionate hobbyist with an enquiring mind and internet access..... (yes, the days of hounding paperweight to get in fishkeeping magazines are over) The "in my experience," "In my opinion," "my tank never looked better," "it is said......" talks on forums don't carry half the weight of the real science, which bye the way, is out there.....
I hardly understand the in depth details of it, I just keep reading until the proverbial penny drops on something I can apply in my glass box....

I thought this was biological stuff

haha,,, true.

with an enquiring mind and internet access.....

this is exactly why i take every bit of time i have left out of the day to read as much as a possibly can. I can only hope to aquire the knowledge and skills some of the more advanced hobbyist here on MASA have.

Have a great day !! ;)

Last edited:
Wow!! Reading this thread makes my head hurt @irie ivan @KillerWhale ,,, you guys have some serious knowledge when it comes to the chemical part of things. Barely understood half of it, but ja it was lekker to read.
@dallasg is the Phospha-Garud for sale yet? I've bought the Nitra-Gaurd the other day. Would love to get this too.

@ChrisRaubs yes it is, all good LFS's will stock it... try @wild on pets

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom