Phosmedia + Carbon during cycling

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by shrimp, 1 Jul 2009.

1. shrimp

shrimp

Hi, is it advisable to add phosmedia to a cycling tank in order to help prevent nuisance algae getting a "foothold" ... or should wait for cycle to end ? also assume to add chaeto once cycling is complete ? shot !

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shrimp

shrimp Thread Starter

sorry, have no sump but waiting for the arrival of my HOB skimmer (BH 1000) .... would the phosmedia be effective enough in filter bag with pump creating water movement through media ?

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Shrimp - you can if you want to. BUT, I would not add this until at least 5 weeks into the cycling period.
    DEFINITELY have this media in place, before you add lifestock. And before you start feeding anything.

5. Tony

Tony

I would personally add it. It will prevent all sorts of nasties coming back to bite you months down the line

6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hey Shrimpie... Ditto on Jacques and Tony, but I want to just halt a moment...

You say you have no sump? Do you have a Nano Cube? What size is you tank?

The reason I ask this, is that a sump, imo is one of the most important aspects of a reef tank. The reason I say this is quite simple. In a sump / refugium, you can add a DSB (deep sand bed), you can hide your heaters in there, you can put all your other reactors like phosphate, calcium, carbon etc. A sump also adds to the total volume of the tank, thus making water more stable.:thumbup:

All in all, I can not see you NOT having a sump. What other methods of filtration are you using?

But please just give us a better indication of these facts mentioned above, and please do not attemtp and connect a sump to the tank and hope to run the flow with two pumps... been there done that - it is a nightmare!!!!:nono:

If you do end up needing a sump, we will assist you with plans to put one in, with the least amount of effort and cost!!!

Thanks;)

7. shrimp

shrimp Thread Starter

sorry, have been meaning to create a thread on my new cube ... brief description as follows:

- Rimless cube measuring 460mm x 460mm x 460mm (in 10mm glass) with water level at 430mm
    - 9 KG Fiji LR
    - Rear chamber created in DT measuring 150mm using black perspex to house heaters / pumps / carbon (not yet added, questioned above) / phosmedia (not yet added, questioned above)
    - Circulation is 2 x SunSunDVP 101 (rated 3000lph each) and a Seio M320 placed at bottom to prevent any ditritus entering rear chamber through "teeth" at bottom of perspex
    - Jager heater/s
    - Lighting - 2 x 24w lighting unit - will consider 150w MH later depending on coral selection
    - Cube is running BB with LR raised off bottom using eggcrate stands
    - as mentioned above, have ordered BH-1000 HOB skimmer - awaiting for arrival
    I have run a slighly bigger cube in the past with complete sump etc etc, but will be doing weekly water changes this time round due to smaller water volume ....

Thanks, cheers

8. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

:whistling: Shoe, glad to hear you know what you are doing!!;) Just thought you were another unlucky sucker who got ripped off by a LFS that know nothing about marines...

Okey, well that sounds good then. i like your return method!!! And remember to keep up with the water changes religiously.

Just on lighting; your tank is still cycling, but with only 2x24W I am afraid you will only be able to keep things like mushrooms. I would seriously suggest adding either two or four more T5's, or as you said a 150W MH. I'd suggest 20000K MH, as you do not want too much growth... Then you can have the two 6700K T5's. Just a suggestion.

Good luck!!!
    :thumbup:

9. shrimp

shrimp Thread Starter

sorry to have made you panic :whistling: .... yip, looking forward to the progress, thanks for the lighting advise .... good thing is I have some time to ponder until system stable enough for corals ;)

10. jacquesb

And time to save up for that "perfect" lighting unit! ;)

Just a suggestion - have a look at the single 150 watt metal halide and 2 x 24 watt T5 lighting unit combo, that NAAC sells. I have one of them, and were quite impressed.

Reasonable good value for money.

11. shrimp

shrimp Thread Starter

thanks, will check it out ;)

12. Tony

Tony

How much was that Unit if I may ask Jacques?

13. jacquesb

R1700, Tony. For the single 150 watt metal halide/2 x 24 watt T5's combo unit. You do get bigger units in the range.....

Last edited: 2 Jul 2009
Recent Posts