Phosban Reactor/Chiller

SIMS

Regal Tang
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a phosban reactor and would like to know if I can feed it via the chiller in series i.e. Pump i sump - chiller - phosban reactor - sump...going this route will cut out the need for another pump as space is already tight in the sump....

Also is it beter to have water flow through the chiller faster rather than slower or the other way around....

Thanks for the advice....

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Sims i think the water coming through the chiller may be too fast for a reactor, all depending on the size of chiller and reactor though.

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
I'd imagine flow rate through the chiller is going to be quite a bit more than through a phos reactor. I'd get a pump rated for the chiller's max flow rate and then T off a bit to the reactor.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
SIMS, a phosban reactor only needs a little resun 1 to run it, I'm sure you can fit one in somewhere, the reactor can sit outside the sump so you will only have a tiny little pump in there.

SIMS

Regal Tang
Reaction score
I'm just worried that those cheap small pumps are not salt water safe....

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I don't think it affects the tank much if they rust. It's more a case of you maybe having to buy another pump but a pump just for a phos reactor should be <R100/yr.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
use a resun king1/king1a, octopus 500lph or lifetech 700ph all work well
I must admit, I am not too fond of the Resun King 1's, they seem to be really "cheap" pumps in terms of build quality. I have been through a few of them.

How are the other 2 pumps you mentioned mekaeel, which one do you think is the better one?

Mekaeel

Reaction score
so far ive had 1 king1A blow up and the other couldnt push the height i was looking for but the octopus 500 took care of that.im quite happy using the octo pumps as feed pumps for my autotopup and kalk stirrer.the liftech pumps ive being using them for a very long time,excellent quality.my skimmer,3 in1 reactor and chiller are all run with the lifetech pumps.also got some in my dispaly to help with flow