Phos Remover

joe

Reaction score
Good Day Guys just need to know which of the these 3 products i should buy : Seachem phosgard, AM Antefos or Kent Phosphate sponge, im really confused .
Any feedback or experience will be appreciated,

Hi Joe - I can tell you about SeaChem PhosGuard - I have not used the others yet. I have first used the "SeaChem PhosGuard" in a "filter sock" first, and then later on I put it in a phosphate reactor.... It seems to be working for me - but it is not a QUICK cure. It takes a few weeks to work well.....

I use the liquid phosphate remover from PureReef and it works very well. I know it's not really an answer to your question but thought I'd throw it in.

hey there Galibore and Jaques thanx for the response ... do any sponsors in cape town sell PureReef products

Hi Joe - yeah - I would also like to know. Everyone suggested I should try and use the Liquid Phosphate remover as well to assist in my hair-algae growth.... BUT I do not know who sells the liquid one. I know that the most common one on the racks everywhere is the "SeaChem PhosGuard"...... That's most likely why/how I ended up with it....

Seachem po4 remover, stocked by almost every LFS in CPT stocking marines. aluminium based bead shaped
Aqua medic antiphos, stocked by uncle Sam in Bergfliet and the shop in Plumstead. iron oxide based, crumbly granules
Liquid PO4 removal media stocked by Aquality, one of the sponsors.

There are no no studies I could find which proves which one is the most efficient at binding/removing/precipitating PO4.

They all work pretty well, only concern with the liquid is tht it may lead to a severe drop in alkalinity if overdosed.

the AM remover is very very good and only costs bout R80 FOR 500L

Sure you mean R80 for 500 litre water volume treatment, i.e. about 500ml of antiphos.

I use the AM anti phos and find it works very well and is fairly well priced.

Hi Ivan - a quick question - doesn't a high'ish calcium level also assist (or should I rather say - should it not assist) with phosphate precipitation? Where the calcium is supposed to bind with the phosphate and drop to the floor of the tank? Or does this only occur with carbon dioxide, where the calcium forms calcium carbonate?

BTW: Thanks Ivan for the explanation.... So you think any/either of the products should work equally well? As I have said earlier on in the thread - I use the SeaChem PhosGuard.... and it seems to be working for me (as well as me manually blowing detritus off my rocks, and from between my rocks using my turkey baster every evening)...

I tend to use Aluminium based phosphate removers - pound for pound they remove more phosphate than Iron based removers (there have been studies & scientific papers to confirm this!)...

Some people will shy away from Ali based removers because one man suggest that it could irritate corals... but my experience thus far has been very positive with no corals showing any ill affect (this is inline with most of Germany reefers too!)

Thanx guys , i guess il decide when i go shop the weekend . On average how often do u guys replace ur phos media.

Hi Ivan - a quick question - doesn't a high'ish calcium level also assist (or should I rather say - should it not assist) with phosphate precipitation? Where the calcium is supposed to bind with the phosphate and drop to the floor of the tank?

Well, yes, therefor one of the pros of kalk, as it precipitates po4 from solution extremely well in freshwater, how effectively this happens in saltwater, I am not sure........ Adding vast amounts of ca (lets assume as cacl) is not really a cost effective way of combatting po4, as the calcium will precipitate carbonates, magnesium, etc as well, all becoming biologically unavailable.

Some people will shy away from Ali based removers because one man suggest that it could irritate corals

If you look at the study of Farley http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2003/chem.htm which you are referring to, you will see that he used more than ten fold the recommended dose!! will give more accurate figures when i have time to read it again......

Yes galibore, maybe palmer or Liaquat can chime in here. I know there were some reports of significant livestock losses when liquid po4 removers were 1st used, which was eventually put down to alk dropping significantly.

I'm hoping Midasblenny will chime in here and maybe say how much is too much.

I must say that Alk is the thing I monitor closely and have not seen any drop in Alk since I have been dosing the liquid Phos remover.

One thing I'm very happy about is the fact that my phosphate is undetectable at least.

Back
Top Bottom