Phos Remover

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by joe, 11 Oct 2007.

1. joe

joe

Good Day Guys just need to know which of the these 3 products i should buy : Seachem phosgard, AM Antefos or Kent Phosphate sponge, im really confused .
    Any feedback or experience will be appreciated,

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Joe - I can tell you about SeaChem PhosGuard - I have not used the others yet. I have first used the "SeaChem PhosGuard" in a "filter sock" first, and then later on I put it in a phosphate reactor.... It seems to be working for me - but it is not a QUICK cure. It takes a few weeks to work well.....

4. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

I use the liquid phosphate remover from PureReef and it works very well. I know it's not really an answer to your question but thought I'd throw it in.

5. joe

joe Thread Starter

hey there Galibore and Jaques thanx for the response ... do any sponsors in cape town sell PureReef products

6. jacquesb

Hi Joe - yeah - I would also like to know. Everyone suggested I should try and use the Liquid Phosphate remover as well to assist in my hair-algae growth.... BUT I do not know who sells the liquid one. I know that the most common one on the racks everywhere is the "SeaChem PhosGuard"...... That's most likely why/how I ended up with it....

7. gaz19

gaz19

the AM remover is very very good and only costs bout R80 FOR 500L

8. jacquesb

Hi Gaz - where do you get the AM phosphate remover from? And what form is it? Powder? Small/tiny beads? Liquid?

9. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Seachem po4 remover, stocked by almost every LFS in CPT stocking marines. aluminium based bead shaped
    Aqua medic antiphos, stocked by uncle Sam in Bergfliet and the shop in Plumstead. iron oxide based, crumbly granules
    Liquid PO4 removal media stocked by Aquality, one of the sponsors.

There are no no studies I could find which proves which one is the most efficient at binding/removing/precipitating PO4.

They all work pretty well, only concern with the liquid is tht it may lead to a severe drop in alkalinity if overdosed.

10. irie ivan

Sure you mean R80 for 500 litre water volume treatment, i.e. about 500ml of antiphos.

11. gaz19

gaz19

yip dats wat i ment!!! it treats 500l of water

12. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I use the AM anti phos and find it works very well and is fairly well priced.

13. jacquesb

Hi Ivan - a quick question - doesn't a high'ish calcium level also assist (or should I rather say - should it not assist) with phosphate precipitation? Where the calcium is supposed to bind with the phosphate and drop to the floor of the tank? Or does this only occur with carbon dioxide, where the calcium forms calcium carbonate?

14. jacquesb

BTW: Thanks Ivan for the explanation.... So you think any/either of the products should work equally well? As I have said earlier on in the thread - I use the SeaChem PhosGuard.... and it seems to be working for me (as well as me manually blowing detritus off my rocks, and from between my rocks using my turkey baster every evening)...

15. Afsal

Afsal

from where gaz?? cause i bought from northlands for R150 for 500ml

16. Keith_Man

Keith_Man

I tend to use Aluminium based phosphate removers - pound for pound they remove more phosphate than Iron based removers (there have been studies & scientific papers to confirm this!)...

Some people will shy away from Ali based removers because one man suggest that it could irritate corals... but my experience thus far has been very positive with no corals showing any ill affect (this is inline with most of Germany reefers too!)

17. Galibore

Wow, didn't know that.

18. joe

joe Thread Starter

Thanx guys , i guess il decide when i go shop the weekend . On average how often do u guys replace ur phos media.

19. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Every 4 to 6 weeks.

20. irie ivan

Well, yes, therefor one of the pros of kalk, as it precipitates po4 from solution extremely well in freshwater, how effectively this happens in saltwater, I am not sure........ Adding vast amounts of ca (lets assume as cacl) is not really a cost effective way of combatting po4, as the calcium will precipitate carbonates, magnesium, etc as well, all becoming biologically unavailable.

If you look at the study of Farley http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2003/chem.htm which you are referring to, you will see that he used more than ten fold the recommended dose!! will give more accurate figures when i have time to read it again......

Yes galibore, maybe palmer or Liaquat can chime in here. I know there were some reports of significant livestock losses when liquid po4 removers were 1st used, which was eventually put down to alk dropping significantly.

21. Galibore

I'm hoping Midasblenny will chime in here and maybe say how much is too much.

I must say that Alk is the thing I monitor closely and have not seen any drop in Alk since I have been dosing the liquid Phos remover.

One thing I'm very happy about is the fact that my phosphate is undetectable at least.

Recent Posts