Phillips T8 TLD 36W/865 90lm/watt for reef tanks

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jacquesb, 23 May 2009.

1. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

What is surprising though is that the phillips 865's (T8 36W-6500K BUT LOOKS LIKE 10000K REEFTEK:p nice white no yellow) actually put out 90lm/watt which gives of around 3240lm for a 36w tube where as syvania's highest is 2800lm for a 54w tube which is only 52lm per watt!!!WTF???and their other globes even the 8500k t5 sylvania only gives of 1680lm which is low in my opinion.

now thats staggering performance from a t8 globe as metal halides normally give around 90lm per watt also!:thumbup:i've decided to run my softies tank with this initially but after doing all this research i'm thinking of trying some sps in here also once the system is stable..

thats right sps in a t8 system lol shoot me but i believe this tube will pull it of!oh yes but please newbies shouldnt try running sps on t8,please for your corals sake.

--------------------------------------------------
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacquesb [​IMG]
    Falcon - do you have have any more official source documentation/graphs providing backup for these figures, from Philips? It does sound a wee bit "too good to be true" (and usually if it does sound to good to be true - it is)...

Sorry for be such a sceptic - it's just that T8's are not usually such high output globes!

WELL this is actually true,here's an official website,do note that even though it rates as a 6500k lamp the colour visually is as pleasing and even more crisp than a 10000k reeftek tube(not yellow but rather a crisp white).i have this running on my new 4ft tank and i can say the claimed output is definitely that high!

phillips 36w cool daylight with 90lm per watt output.

---------------------------------------------------

PLUS AFTER 15000 HOURS THEY MAINTAIN 90% OF THEIR LUMEN OUTPUT!so you could easily run it for three years before changing the tube!!perfect for the growth part of your display and then simply suppliment with a one or two pure actinic(the best pure actinic i've encountered is the zoo-med t8 36w coral sun, i rate it as visually better than my 54w giesemann pure actinic even!) and 20000k for coral colours to come out a bit...

check this lumen maintanance chart for the phillips 865 with insane lumens/watt...[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaco Schoeman [​IMG]
    Looks good, yes. And Falcon, is there any chance you can bench this project for us? Get a tube, diarize when you added it, and run it, see what it does, and let us know...

I have had T8's from Hagen, and bought the exact same T5, and I could clearly see the difference... So I am too a bit sceptic on the T8's... Had a Actinic T8 inbetween two T5 6700K, and you could not even see the T8!!!

So please try and update us...;)

jaco..i've had it running in my display tank in the shop for a month already,basically i went for the globe because we sell it and i did not want to use MH in a softies /basic set-up.the tank is still cycling and i intended to use it as a softy and fish only tank so currently i have 1xt8 phillips 865 and 1x no name brand blue fluorescent 36w just for the colour.will upgrade it soon by adding another 4x4ft 865's as the tank depth is only 450mm.

Obviously your scepticism is warranted as a NORMAL T8 TUBE simply cannot compare to most t5's,but this tube ISNT A NORMAL T8.its actually visually much brighter than any standard 4ft 36w tube that i place next to it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacquesb [​IMG]
    WOW! Cool Falcon! Many thanks for sharing this! How easily is this globe obtained? Where all is this globe all sold?

Well i own a hardware/electrical wholesale/ retail shop and i stock it for clients who want extra bright t8 globes, so I'm sure most electrical wholesalers will stock it -ask for a TLD 36W/865 by phillips. or simply an 865 phillips tube.best thing is it costs AROUND R20!!!!plus t8 ballasts are dirt cheap,i say why not add a few for the white light spectrum rather than t5's????

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Thread Starter Retired Moderator

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaco Schoeman [​IMG]
    Impressive!!! Does anyone know (Falcon maybe) about the Osram Daylight White tube? I hear that is stunning too...

I think you mean this one jaco?rather than the way too yellow daylight white...
    FQ 54W/880 HO SKYWHITE FLH1

yes also an excellent tube lol but shockingly the t8 36w phillips 865 is still more effective in using its watts to output lumens.

at 25 deg C the osram t5 880 skywhite gives of 74 lumens per watt.
    at 30 deg C(which should mean its at a higher temp and dis advantaged in this test) the 865 still beats the t5 880 by giving of 79lumens per watt.

so not much diff and the osram is an excellent tube!

BUT THE TUBE IS NOT READILY AVAILABLE AND NOT STOCKED BY OSRAM SOUTH AFRICA.and the cost of the tube is a bit more and also t5 ballasts are a bit more expensive and not so freely available as t8.

--------------------------------------------------

4. Jaak

Jaak

Where did you buy this globe jacquesb?

5. jacquesb

Hi Jaak - No - I did not buy this globe. I just started the new thread on Falcon's request.

Perhaps at Brights Electrical? Or even "The Lamphouse"....

6. Falcon

Falcon

Just an update ive found an osram equivalent also a 36w 865 t8 that gives of 3250 lumens,slightly yellower than the phillips but still great performance and you suppliment it with actinics.....

7. jacquesb

Sounds Awesome Falcon. BTW: You can try "The Lamphouse" for T8 Actinic globes - I am MORE than sure that they keep them. Perhaps you can get out to Sandton at some stage - or perhaps they are willing to ship?

www.thelamphouse.co.za

Recent Posts