Phillips Blue T8

Reaction score
I know what you must be thinking. A T8 that is like so last year. Last night I was a bored so I started cleaning out some old boxes and found a Phillips Blue T8.
With my first tank (Year Before) I had one of these running. I remember it being quite blue but last night I was amazed.

I pulled out the trusty ballast and quickly connected it. I turned off the T5's and turned on the T8

The light, for those of you who are not familiar with it, glows a deep dark blue. I have some orange and brown zoa's. The orange glowed a luminous organge and for the first time I noticed organge dots on tips of the polyps.
My green stars were glowing as well.

I am going to use this now as a night light for my tank now.

Reaction score
Cool....
I heard you get these in T12 aswell..

Reaction score
They are so cheap as well. I picked mine up for 49 rand ! IMO it is nicer than the ATI pure blue.
Galibore I will try take some pics tonight.

Rod

Reaction score
Phillips Lamps

I use them, have done for many years. They are very effective. The Phillips 2 and three foot actinic lamps are T8, The 4 foot actinic is a T12.
If I may, T5 simply means 5/8 ths of an inch, so T12 is 12/8 ths which means one and a half inch. T5 's are High Output lamps ie a 3 foot T5 has an output of 39 watts as opposed to a 3 foot T8 which has an output of 30 watt.
The magic is not in whether the lamps are T5 or T8, its in the spectrum.

Rod

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is the crap thing with T8's or t12's they are just big and bulky. Just the spectrum the Phillips blue delivers I think is really nice.
Thanks for the extra info Rod.

Rod

Reaction score
Nice to see you here Rod.

Yeah - I think the guys are more concerned about the size due to the fittings they run.

T5's require electronic ballasts - while the rest can be run on standards.
Thanks Bristlebasher, your tank is amazing.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
I use the phillips antinics with no problems, 2 x 3 ft and 1 x 5 ft VHO T12

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
excellent bulb and have been looking for an equivalent in a T5 for ages.....

Rod

Reaction score
Phillips T12

The VHO puts out 140w and i wired 2 x 65w ballists to run it.
Could you help with the wiring on the 2 x 65 w? I have seen it done in the distant past and can't remember.

Reaction score
You wire it as though wiring a single balast, and then add one in parallel. (ie put the second one next to the first, take one line from the LHS of ballast one to LHS of Ballast 2 another line from RHS of Ballast 1 to RHS of ballast 2). Easy really.

Those phillips bulbs are great, get fantastic flourescence too. The original and possibly still the best Actinic around.

splatacat

Craze MadMan
Reaction score
They are so cheap as well. I picked mine up for 49 rand ! IMO it is nicer than the ATI pure blue.
Galibore I will try take some pics tonight.
And where do we get these phillips tubes? :whistling:

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Viper i have only seen them in 5ft lengths. I know Liaquat stocks them.