Phillipi Sand

Hi Timmyus - I use "normal" sea-sand from Bloubergstrand. I heard from Builders Warehouse that they "playsand" sell for kids, is the sand called Phillipi sand. It is "mined"/collected from a location somewhere close to Phillipi. I believe it comes from an inland sand-dune area.

I would say it should be safe, if you wash it decently.... Just to ensure that there are no "residual" chemical in the sand, and no other impurities that could leach out.

Hi Warr - it's what they call "sugar fine" - so basically about a quarter to a half a millimeter in size....

Well then Jacques, I think you would agree, if it is cleaned probably this sand should do the job for substrate

Hi Warr - as far as I am conerned ANY type of sand / cruashed coral / coral sand volcanic sand could be used, as long as it does not leach any metals or other bad things leach into the water, and as long as the particle size is between 0.1 mm and 1.5mm. One actually require a different particle size to ensure that different micro fauna propagates (not all like the same sand particle size).....

I think its too much of an effort driving around looking for this sand. I think I will do what Jacquesb did and go fetch in bloubergstrand... Any specific part of the beach I should go and get sand from Jaques?

Hi Timmyus - no problems - I used to fetch sand from the beach area where the rocks start in Bloubergsand - I thing that the grain size is lightly big'ish (1 to 1.5mm) - BUT it seems that I get all the tiny micro fauna that I need - and my nitrate levels were since start between 0 and 2! So - I am sure it would work out for you! Try it, and see!

Cool Thanks Jacques I dont reaaly go much to blouberg so I dont really know the beach that well. But I will look out for the first lot of rocks I see

Timmyus,drive past the fist set of rocks.Then past the Big Bay area ,two circles continue on for about 1 Km you will see parking on your left.This is called Derde Steen.I think this is the best location for the sugar fine sand.Trust me I`m a local and have surfed the area my whole life.

Stay out of the water ,it`s to cold even to swim.The best sand is the windblown sand.That is well above the high water mark.I say it`s the best because of the grain size (sugar size).Windblown sand is also super clean.

Timmyus,drive past the fist set of rocks.Then past the Big Bay area ,two circles continue on for about 1 Km you will see parking on your left.This is called Derde Steen.I think this is the best location for the sugar fine sand.Trust me I`m a local and have surfed the area my whole life.

Hi Zookeeper - thanks for this - I have been there - but never thought of this spot for sand collecting.... BUT definitely interesting! Will really consider this next I redo my tanks though!

Back
Top Bottom