pharos vs kessel

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by radar, 22 Jan 2015.

1. radar

radar

Hi guys. I have to make a choice between a kessel 150 w 10000k or the pharos 90w. i was able to find lots of info on the kessel units and i know kessel has a proven track record and they have been in the game for long. As for pharos i cant seem to find too much on the web although what i did manage to find seems good. the tank will be a 500 cube with focus on softies and a few lps. So without:m17: veering too far from the topic simply,Which would you prefer out of the two and why? Thanks guys and girls!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Johan123

Johan123

wait for the a160we it is controllable (if we are getting in SA) Kessil LED Lights

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I go with the higher wattage unit.

Although the Kessil would have a lot more spotlight effect. Leds closer to each other and single lens. Check the lens as well, get different angle lenses.

The Pharos will give less of a spotlight effect. Although it got just over half the leds compared to the Kessil.

for softies only, the Pharos would be fine. But how deep is the tank?

5. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I've got a 90W Pharos on my 350 liter cube-ish and it has decent coverage. Will possibly add a second at some point and then run at reduced power just so the very edges have better lighting. With the single one though I still have a rapidly growing clam, montis, Goniopora, Euphyllia, various brains, photosynthetic gorgonians, etc. Clam and Goniopora are on the bottom at 60cm deep, so light penetration is good.

It's a very nice and well priced unit.

Edit: Tank dimensions are 70 x 60 x 60 by the way.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2015
  6. NickW

NickW

I run the A350w kessil on my cube (600 x 600mm) and the coverage is very good. You can see the pic below how high above the water the light is and it reaches all sides of the tank about 5cm under the water (if that makes sense), the corners are a little dark but can easily be fixed by raising the light a few cm.

The growth ive had with the kessil light is also great! Clam has almost doubled in size in 1 year.

(sorry for the sideways pic)

IMG_7540 (Small).JPG

7. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

I have a 1.8m tank with 4 Pharos lights. I have explosive growth on my SPS and have to continuously frag. Nothing wrong with them.

8. radar

radar Thread Starter

i like the pharos for its reputation and shimmer effect but has no adjustment features. The pharos has more features but im not too sure on its performance. So Willet you say you getting good results with growth. At the end of the day i want whats best for coral health and growth. the tank is 600 deep cube by the way.

9. williet

With a 600 Cube, one will be fine. What do you mean lack of adjustment features ?

10. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

I was running 2 X Pharos 90w at 65% on a 1.3 X 650 (w) X 600 (H). The tank exploded with growth and colour (previously ran 6x ATI bulbs in an Oddysea fixture). My coralline really took off and nennie quadrupled in size I had a two island scape and had a bit of a shadow in the centre, however I was running it at 15cm from the surface not the recommended 30cm. Moving it up will definitely sort that out.

They known as phantoms or phathoms in the states so that may be the reason for the lack of results on google.

HTH

11. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Both great units. Not sure when we will have the Controllable Kessil in SA.

The PHAROS are re branded as FATHOM LED in the US.
    @radar, about lacking features, there is a wealth of features on the controller, Lunar calendar, cloud simulation, Light Compensation, Channel ratio settings etc.

We've also now have the G2 upgraded unit, with some nice improvements. Also later if you want a bigger tank, you just add another unit, they all wirelessly sync and are controlled with one controller.

Hope this helps.

@RiaanP, These units are proving over and over they are more than capable of doing wonders on full blown SPS systems.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yip, but a deep cube with low rock scaping, and light penetration starts to become a problem.

But if 500mm deep and rocks are 300mm high, that means the SPS would be in water 200 to 250mm deep, maybe even less. Then no issue. Not the same if tank is 700mm deep and rocks only 200mm high. Then you need to penetrate 500mm water. Depth and scaping is important to take into account on this question.

But as he indicated his focus would be on softies, I do think the Pharos would be sufficient regardless the depth. Maybe better, due to less of a spotlight like the Kessil.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2015
  13. williet

@RiaanP From what premise do you come to claim that pharos is only good for softies? Did you have data to prove they will only work for softies? As earlier stated there are many guys running the lights with sps and having great results.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

NO

As I asked, what is the depth of the tank? If deep, or corals placed deep under water, I rather go for more power.
    If shallow, then yes, even the more light demanding corals would be more than happy.

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

if back in the day with metal halides, you will not put SPS deep down in a tank under a 150W MH. Rather a 400MH. so more power and the costs and cooling issues going with that.

16. williet

Apologies missread

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

understand, and no need to apologize, I should have been more clear on my statement as well. We are all here to learn and help each other. And if misunderstanding each other, better to clarify.

:thumbup:

Andre@ReefAquatics likes this.
  18. radar

radar Thread Starter

sorry guys i meant the kessel lacks ability for adjustments not the pharos. Anyway from what i can see the pharos is pretty good. soooooo will be giving Andre a buzz soon. hope we can get the 150w tuna blue kessel into SA one day though. Hint hint. Thanks so much for all the positive response really helped. Here, have a beer:peroni:

Recent Posts