Pharos lighting - Coral advise needed please

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have recently changed over to LED lighting. I have 1 x 90 w Pharos unit over my rio 180.
It is around 900 x 350 x 400.

I started off ramping up from 0% to 35% and back down again for 3 days. Starting at 12h00 and switching off at 21h00.
I have now adjusted to ramp up to 50% over the same period my corals from day 1 of the LEDs have not looked great but I know it takes a while to adjust to the now lighting.

My hairy finger leather and pincusion have shrunk and almost glazed over

picture.php

picture.php

The others don't look to bad, a little retracted but slowly opening.

picture.php

picture.php

Do I need to stress or will it come right. A little worried about the leather and pincusion

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Which unit do you have? The one with the blue and white? Or the one that has the uv in too?

Thats what I though.
Must I leave the light settings as is or adjust them

Last edited:
How high is your unit from your tank? I know a lot of people dont believe at running their leds on high percentages but i ran my maspect razors 160watt on a 1.5m tank at full percentage and busy upping my Aqua illumination hydras as well. Basically dont be afraid of pushing those values up as your tank is long, though narrow, ill still go quite high

I would leave lights where they are, once corals recover, after about a week, ramp up again.

Cool, thanks guys for the advise. My unit is about 400 mm above the water surface. If not that high I dont get the spread. I have 3 of these Pharos units but just running 1 for now. Will be upgrading my tank in the next month or 2.

If I can chirp in as well as stated already leave the light settings as they are until corals recover after that raise there intensity weekly by 5%. I run Pharos leds as well for 2 years now and found that corals acclimate themselves to the increased light in small stages over time. It took me 8 months to reach my desired peak light intensity which is Blue 100% and White 75% which is at that level for 6 hours of the day the rest of the 4 hours before and 4 hours after its ramping up and down.

If I can chirp in as well as stated already leave the light settings as they are until corals recover after that raise there intensity weekly by 5%. I run Pharos leds as well for 2 years now and found that corals acclimate themselves to the increased light in small stages over time. It took me 8 months to reach my desired peak light intensity which is Blue 100% and White 75% which is at that level for 6 hours of the day the rest of the 4 hours before and 4 hours after its ramping up and down.
Holly smokes 8 months to get to your level... Wow, where do you start at when converting to led? Like 1%

Holly smokes 8 months to get to your level... Wow, where do you start at when converting to led? Like 1%
I started at Blue 50% and White 40% increased 5% after 2 weeks on Blue for example then waited another week increased on white 5% then wait a few weeks then increase again. I am happy I did it that way friends rushed it and bleached there corals then blamed the leds no specific brand they all had different brands but same out come bleached corals coz they didn't take there time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom