Phantom of the Reef...

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Jaco Schoeman, 16 Feb 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi guys. After a weekend of warfare with those ugly hairy crabs, I also saw a "creature" lurking between the rocks. Initially I thought it to be a Mantis, and almost slit my wrists... But then I managed to get a further glymps of it.

It is a green shrimp and at the back looks like a cleaner shrimp. The only big diffs I could see between this creature and a Mantis, is that this creature has claws, with white tips on the claws. It is a very long skinny shrimp. The claws are quite bulky.

My guess is that it is a pistol shrimp. I can't get any photos of it as it ducks as soon as it sees me.

Please confirm possibilties. If it is a pistol, is it a bad thing to have? My book says it's not that bad, although it does make the sounds of glass cracking when it slams those claws shut.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

:lol::lol:
    Well you get the clubbing mantis and the slashin mantis. So you might still have one:razz: But we need that pic. I think pistol shrimp arent too bad if i remember quickly, but my memory is couldy this morning. So best make sure its not a mantis:thumbup:

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

pistols often get mistaken for mantis just buy the sound...
    try and trap him with the glass and take a photo, if its a mantis dont kill him, call me :)

5. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks. I mught be able to catch it, as it takes to a rock that is not too difficult to remove and get it out. It's quite big, as I had two previous Mantis (which I had to "take out..") Sorry Dallasg, didn't know you'd want it. I will try and first catch it, take a mugshot and post it, then keep it safe in my DSB maybe should someone want to take it off my hands.

I really doubt that I will be able to take a phote of it inside the tank, it's too fast and too shy. I did see it taking off a piece of LR with it's claws as if it was snow or cotton... AMAZING power there!!!

6. dallasg

if its a pistol, its safe, if its mantis i take it from you :)

7. crispin

crispin

if its a pistol you'll probably want it out anyway....i have heard that sound can really get irratating, especially in the evenings and you or kids are trying to sleep. If you and know where he is, and can get to that rock now, then i would sump him if you can, you dont want him moving bolt holes and having to rip reef apart later.

sounds like a lovely reef you have there, lots of interesting things to look at (from afar:))

8. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks Crispin. My reef actually is very interresting. Lost of challenges (LOVE IT) like the 1billion hairy crabs, mantis shrimp etc. etc. But YES, for AFAR:)...

9. dallasg

remember jaco, i collect all the nasties for refugiums and in jhb so will collect all the nasties u dont want, soon will be able to swop frags for them :)

10. martin

martin Reef Adict

I've got 2 Pistols in my tank and had them since the begining of this tank 4+yrs. They are gr8 and very entertaining expecially the symbiotic relationship they and my Gobies have. They also clean the substrate and tunnel around ensuring there is little room for nitrate factories.

Having said that my tank is 12mm with 3x12mm base so I have very little concern. I do however worry about the tunnelling and the possibility of rock falls but hey thats a risk I take. The cracking of their "claws" is not that loud and has never irritated me and personally I think it is overstated and exagerated.

11. Warr7207

Warr7207

Please remember if a pistol gets big enough he will take out all your shrimps as shown in the video below.

YouTube - Pistol Shrimp

12. burt

burt

heard of it befor but never saw it, thanks man

Recent Posts