Urgent help needed PH too low!

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Landu, 22 Aug 2011.

1. Landu

Landu

I found out today that the place i buy my RO water from's ph is 6.86, so i checked my ph in my tank seeing i've been using this water for 6 months now, and my ph round 7, what can i do to pick the ph back up again, increase the amount of bicarb i dose?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. pXius

pXius

Lift the KH, some kalk dosing will do the trick. Try to start dosing at night time when lights are out as this is when PH starts to drop the most.

Also you can "pre-buffer" your RO with Brightwells Alkaline 8.3, or whatever buffer you prefer.

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

PH testing of RO water is pretty useless as it does not have any buffering properties. Proper RO does not have a fixed PH. Add a minute amount of buffer to that RO and the PH totally changes. I suspect there is another reason why the PH is low. I dont believe its the RO water.

5. JD167

JD167

You can't push the PH up too quickly. I'm not sure how much your water volume is, but a water change with the CORRECT PH would help. You will have to do a couple of them. You can dose(drip) some kalk as well as suggested already, but it's important that the PH doesn't shoot up in one go.

Are you running a Calcium reactor?

Edit:
    Also, how often do you do water changes and do you check the PH of new water before doing the change?

Last edited: 22 Aug 2011
  6. Landu

Landu Thread Starter

I've got a 290l DT and 200l sump, running no reactors have got a crushed coral compartment in sump running 2 weeks now...
    Only dosing little Brightwell Idoine, home made bicarb and magnesium(epsom salt) maby on coke bottle cap full each week...
    Waterchange....we'll i'm slacking in that department, normally every 8 weeks and then it's only 20%.
    I've upgraded my sump 2months ago and made a extra 150l salt water to fill it up, reconned that would give me a couple of months woth of waterchange....

Also i top up clean RO water 40l a week...

7. JD167

JD167

I would suggest more regular water changes.

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Not quite true, you can raise your PH fairly quickly without any problems. Best way to do this is the Kalk Slury Method ie Kalk mixed with a bit of vinegar.

Dont know the size of your system but that seems to be a very small amount and may be the reason for the low PH.

9. Landu

Landu Thread Starter

would you mind explaining the kalk slurry method in more detail:blush:...
    480l total system vol

10. SCOOBY

SCOOBY SCOOBY

How do you test your Ph?

11. Landu

Landu Thread Starter

I took it to a pool shop...(no judging allowed:p)

12. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

thats your first problem.. i dont think their tests are as intricate as ours, BUT i could be wrong..

i agree with alan, and add the kalk via a slurry method, all i would add to that is an airstone to try disperse excess co2..

BUT none of this info is worth 5c if you are testing with an inaccurate test kit.. i would suggest you purchase one, the petrol driving to the LFS or POOL shop alone will ammont to more than a test kit price for the amount of times you will need to test:tt2:

13. ashley100

ashley100

Why dont you just buy your own test kit. Have you got any problems that are visible.

14. Landu

Landu Thread Starter

other than my brown button polyps and huge amounts of GHA, all fish and corals doing great...

15. Alan

Oi, not good, i certainly would not trust the PH reading, not worth taking a chance. If you start using kalk, you are going to have to keep an eye on that PH on a fairly regular basis, like daily, until you get the dosages right for your system. The slurry method is basically mixing kalk with a bit of vinegar, mix until you have a white slury then add some RO water and pour into your system. Start small on the dosages as it is a very potent mix. My system uses 2tsp kalk mixed with 3tsp vinegar and 500ml of RO, on a daily basis. My total system volume is about 3000L. Please do a bit of research on the method and please get a set of decent test kits, will save you plenty frustration.

16. Landu

Landu Thread Starter

Sweet. will do asap!

Thanks for all the awesome advise, will have one of my reefing buds come do a proper test this week.

17. ashley100

ashley100

before you do any dosing get your PH tested at the LFS and how you gonna test your PH with out a PH test kit after dosing because maybe your PH is fine.

but goo luck any ways

18. Landu

Landu Thread Starter

Dude, the major prob is that the closest LFS is in Joburg 200km away!!! So i'm kinda stuck here is the barrens with this forum being my only life line...
    But i'll wait before making any changes till i can get a more reliable test done.

19. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

a courier is a wonderful thing.. im sure one of our sponsors will gladly send a testkit to your door should you request it..

20. Landu

Landu Thread Starter

Sweet,will make a plan

21. Alan

The best way is speed services through the Post office, counter to counter in 24hrs for about 50 odd rand.

Recent Posts