pH Question ?

Reaction score
Is there any way that pH will increase naturally over time ?

For the last 8 months I have been running my tank at a pH of 8 and having to supplement with kalk via RO top up to keep it there. This is been due to the high alk created by the CaRx.

Over the last month I have noticed my pH slowly climbing even though I have stopped dosing kalk.

The only thing I think could have an influence is my algae scrubber.

Could this be the cause ?

The pH is now up to 8.3

Many reefers reverse cycle their sump lighting as it keeps ph steady as PH seems to drop off over night when the tank lights are off, so perhaps your algae scrubber is of some use after all.

Warr - I cannot think that it will ever INCREASE automagically. I can tell you though that as detritus accummulates, and gets broken down, and also if there is far too much carbon-dioxide in the water, the pH will decrease "automagically" caused by the acids resulting from detritus breaking down, and from the cabon dioxide..... Also - if one somehow "feeds" too much oxygen into the tank, the pH can maybe increase, as the oxygen molecules bind with calsium to form calcium-carbonate, which does actually increase the pH as well....

Water supply, test ur RO water
Posted via Mobile Device

Water supply, test ur RO water
Posted via Mobile Device

Could be an idea, but for the RO to effect the tank by this much, I reckon the RO water would need to at a pH of 9, I am sure I would have noticed if my bath water was this caustic :whistling:

That's still drinkable :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Our water, rand water, is the best in the world
Posted via Mobile Device

Is there any way that pH will increase naturally over time ?

The only thing I think could have an influence is my algae scrubber.

Could this be the cause ?

The pH is now up to 8.3

Yes to all:)
CO2 will accelerate the growth of algae s, which is consumed (CO2) and Oxygen released. The end result will be a raised pH.

just have to clean scrubber a little more :)
but i would still test the water

as well as take a ph reading just before lights on and just after lights of and see if there is a diff

Back
Top Bottom