Ph meter - Why?

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by deadmeat2016, 6 Nov 2012.

1. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Hi all, i have been considering getting a Ph meter for R950 from my LFS and was wondering, what are the benefits of this? would my money be better spent on something else?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Personally I would spend the money on something else, in all my years of reefkeeping I think I have only known the PH of any of my tanks for about 2 weeks when I bought a cheap meter from ebay, I got bored with it after a while because it said the same thing every day. :p I have never seen the need for one really, unless of course you want to push the upper limits, but for normal every day reefing I wouldn't say it is a necessity.

deadmeat2016 likes this.
  4. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

I find they are great in a shop or hatchery situation , where you have many tanks to test in a short time.

But on one tank every now and again and then having to calibrate it every now and again seems too much effort.
    But for us , its great :)

deadmeat2016 likes this.
  5. ZooCucumber

ZooCucumber

All i know is that PH can have an affect on marine organisms. There are processes taking place within organisms and can be impacted by changes in PH. Calcification in coral is one such process that is dependant on PH. Also the toxicity of metals such as copper is known to be dependent on PH.

That's about all i know about PH and that i have never seen mine go out of the acceptable range of 8.0 -8.5 :p

If you want to spend that kind of money on a PH meter (which i won't) i would rather spend just more than double that money and buy a reef controller that can monitor PH and has the capabilities for ORP, SG and the controllability of hardware like pumps and lights.

Now wouldn't that be sweeter deal ;)

Last edited: 6 Nov 2012
  6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I have a reef angel, and frankly the ph has never bothered me.

7. ZooCucumber

ZooCucumber

yes, they should take away the PH and replace with SG as a standard. I can see a 8.8345% sales increase just by doing that. :p

Recent Posts