PH EMERGENCY!! Please help

Reaction score
I've just arived home to find my kalkwasser bottle leaked into my tank alday and I have a pH of 8.7+ (normal 8.2-8.3) PLEASE HELP WHAT DO I DO!!

I got a 120 litre nano with 1 clown 1 midasblenny and cleanershrimps - I'm guessing the softies won't be as big a concern as the fish and shrimps

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Christiaan.... sorry to hear this... Don't worry too much. A pH of 8.7 is not too bad yet. BUT - if you are worried, then just do a 20% water change. You can keep the water you have removed from the tank, for the next water change.....

Reaction score
don't worry dude, this has happened to me a couple of times( reef tank and mantis tank)

my ph was about 9.2 at some point, just leave it, the next day it will be back to 8.2-8.3

Reaction score
yup yup - thanks guys

been reading before I act - seems leaving it a bit might be a good idea - I'm preparing some SW now

quite a scare!

Reaction score
my seachem test kit only goes to 8.7 - thats what worried me! but I'm calm now - eveyone in the tank actually looks really happy

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
8.7 not that bad. I wouldn't even worry about it...

Reaction score
I've read somewhere long ago that raising pH to high levels like this and then turning out the lights will precipitate out phosphates and keep ca and alk high - anyone know more about this?? links maybe??

Last edited:

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
No - dunno about that Christiaan. But I do know that at night time your pH drop in any case due to photosynthetic organisms then breath in oxygen and breaths out CO2. The CO2 then drops the pH slightly in any case....