PH and ALK too high

Franske

Chromis
Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me on how to lower your ph and alk since my ph is 8.8 and my alk is 11,or any advice on what is the most common cause for these parameters being to high

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
Your Alk looks fine, only the PH that looks out, are you doesing kalkwasser?

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
The best way is to stop adding alk suppliments for a while.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Sorry, what kits are you using to test the levels?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
A good waterchange should also help. Maybe 25-30%.

But you need to tell us what you are dosing and how often you are dosing.

Franske

Chromis
Reaction score
No im nopt dosing it anymore,only did it once to get my alk to where I want it to be and ive read that it has a small ph reducing effect

Reaction score
you could use a PH and Alc kit.It lets you test it and correct it.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Hi Zanderdevos welcome to MASA, nice to have you on board, please start a thread in the new members section and introduce yourself.
I am trying to establish what test kits are used as some are accurate and others are....lets just say 'are best avoided'.

Reef Maniac

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me on how to lower your ph and alk since my ph is 8.8 and my alk is 11
I agree, your alk is fine...

Please respond to Alan's question - your pH test is most probably wrong (old test kit, using inaccurate kit, using fresh-water kit...) We really cannot help if we don't know more...

IF the pH is really that high you could just add a small quantity of white vinegar to the tank, or bubble some CO2 into the water, but you REALLY need to confirm if your test results are accurate BEFORE you do anything.

Hennie

Tony

Flame Angel
Reaction score
The alkalinity is a bit too high although in my crazy days I had an alkalinity of 15DKH. Try and get it to about nine which is middle of the range. I don't like dosing with bicarbonate as this creates an excess of sodium ions which destabilises your system.

Franske

Chromis
Reaction score
I used an electronic tester and then tested it again with tropic marin to be sure and yes it is correct,what could be the cause and how can I get it down to 8.2

Reef Maniac

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Like I previously posted...

IF the pH is really that high you could just add a small quantity of white vinegar to the tank, or bubble some CO2 into the water, but you REALLY need to confirm if your test results are accurate BEFORE you do anything.

Reef Maniac

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Just be VERY careful not to over-dose. Plan on dropping the pH by not more than 0.1 in 24 hours, and watch out for "over-shoot". Remember: only BAD things happen quickly...

Hennie

Franske

Chromis
Reaction score
Okay but how many many viniger per day should be enough for about 250l of water