PH & Alkalinity

Reaction score
What happens if you run both pH and Alkalinity at low levels in your tank.

SInce I have been running a CaRx, the pH has dropped, which is quite normal. Initially the reactor increased my Alkalinity and I haven't been worrying about it.

I tested tonite and noticed it has dropped to 3.5 meq/L

I know how to ramp it up with additives, but should I adjust my reactor to increase Alkalinity rather ?

I always get them mixed up. meq/l and dKH 3.5 = 9.8 dKH.

How often do you test alk and Ca.

Not often, as the CaRx, seems to be pretty constant, but check once a month as consumption is not constant

Increase the calcium to 380-420. By doing this, you will be reducing the drip rate on the Carx.Also remember that by doing this, your Alk will drop.Alk of 7 is perfect.
I suppose your Ca has dropped due to increase of Corals, Clams, Coralline algea and whatever else consumes Ca and Alk.
Oh yes,just fiddle with the outlet,dont play around with additives. Your Carx seems to be in order. :)

Only prob I have with decreasing the drip rate is the pipe often stops dripping after a couple of hours. At present I have the drip rate at optimal minimum, if you know what i mean.

What if I reduce bubble rate ?

Increase the calcium to 380-420. By doing this, you will be reducing the drip rate on the Carx.Also remember that by doing this, your Alk will drop.Alk of 7 is perfect.

You confused me with this one. Buy reducing the drip rate you will be rasing (the higher the ph the less Ca is disolved) the ph in the CaRx, thus lowering the Alk level coming out of the reactor, thus dropping the Ca level.
The way I was told to set the CaRx was to always try keep the Alk coming out of the reactor around 23 dKH. So if you want to increase Ca you will increase drip rate and flow, but still try keep the alk level coming out of the reactor at 23.

My 2c.

You confused me with this one. Buy reducing the drip rate you will be rasing (the higher the ph the less Ca is disolved) the ph in the CaRx, thus lowering the Alk level coming out of the reactor, thus dropping the Ca level.
The way I was told to set the CaRx was to always try keep the Alk coming out of the reactor around 23 dKH. So if you want to increase Ca you will increase drip rate and flow, but still try keep the alk level coming out of the reactor at 23.

My 2c.

Thialon yes by redusing the drip rate you keep more co2 in the reactor thus reducing your reactor pH for longer thus you increase the solubility ( also dependant on how many bubles of co2/s is put into the reactor)of your calcium chips which means the drip rate will have more dissolved calcium added to the system. The drip rate alkalinity (23 ) depends on the amount of co2 is injected through your bubble counter into the reactor.
With mine the most efficient is 2 CO2 bubbles / s and 3 drops/s gives me an output value of 34kh and 6.28 pH which is great for moy tank

George
Tunze SA

I think I must stop replying to posts so early in the morning and my be have a few more cups of coffee, miss read Mek post. Drip rate bubble rate.:blushing:

The only problem if you don't keep the 2 balanced and your reactor ph drops too much you will dissolve your media too much. I ended up destroying an impeller that way with all the power cuts we had, as I did not have a solenoid to turn off the Co2.

The only problem if you don't keep the 2 balanced and your reactor ph drops too much you will dissolve your media too much. I ended up destroying an impeller that way with all the power cuts we had, as I did not have a solenoid to turn off the Co2.
Also if the Ph of the reactor is too low ie. below 6.5. Some people do run their reactors at a Ph of 6.3.Dont know how often they must be topping up media......

Back
Top Bottom