pets shops

Reaction score
Hi guys

i am in Durban on holiday, i want to visit some local pet shops, can you please tell me where to find any? i do not know the area at all.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Animal - try Northlands Pets close to Makro in Springfield Park. If you go onto their web-site you can get directions there.

I believe in the Gateway shopping mall there's a LFS called Julie's Pets as well.....

Reaction score
thanks, i also need some advice on my DSB. I was playing around with the idea of taking some moist sand home to put in my sump for the DSB. WILL IT WORK????? the tank i bought is a matured tank + - 8 years, however i struggle to get all the waterquality to standard. it is a concern to me as the tank consists of corals, fish and 300kg + live rock.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Animal - yes - it CAN work, BUT, you will HAVE to oxygenate the sand by placing a power-head/battery operated air-pump in the container and some water - otherwise the bacteria in the sand will MOST LIKELY die off...
The die off will cause an ammonia spike.

Have you not perhaps thought of building an algae scrubber?

Reaction score
Yes, I read SantaMonica's artical about the algae filter screen,if that is what you are reffering to.? i am planning on building it.