RSS PETCO targeted by protesters in Hawaii

Discussion in 'RSS Feeds' started by MASA Admin, 2 Jan 2012.

1. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

[​IMG]

Protesters are at war with PETCO, a large multichannel retailer primarily based in the United States. In Hawaii, protesters took to the streets to complain about the death of a baby tang among other things. PETCO, which we have covered before, is an easy target for supporters of For the Fishes, Snorkel Bob’s and the Pacific Whale Foundation, which wants fish kept in the sea and not in reef tanks. PETCO’s saltwater aquatics handling practices are horrible, with poor training and very little education given to the store’s hourly employees, although there are a few that sparkle among the muck. Another lingering issue is the sheer amount of Yellow tangs that get exported from Hawaii each year, something that local Hawaii residents have had about enough of. PETCO has issued a stop sale and will not carry two native Hawaiian tangs sold in five stores in Hawaii. Although nothing was mentioned about the stores located elsewhere in the US. Hit the read link below for an bonus newscast video.

[via] Maui Now
    Readers also viewed:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I don't blame them, especially after seeing photo's like this :

[​IMG]

551 yellow tangs, plus other fish were found dead in a dumpster. Not sure if it was Hawaii or not, can't find the link to the story.

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

This is sad :(

5. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

I mentioned this in another post that sometimes I feel we are as bad as the Chinese guys in Asia eating Rhino horn to make our Johns bigger :blush:

How are we different? We buy fish and corals from our LFS which come mostly straight out of the oceans. I usually get a reply like "us reef tank keepers dont even make a dent in the fish and coral populations". How true is that really. Add pollution to this equation and oneday we will find less and less fish and corals for sale at our LFS :(

Sad but true I also contribute to this.

Somebody say something to make me feel better :whistling:

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

You don't need Rhino Horn :biggrin:

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

how do you know? :p

Viper that picture you put up is shocking!

8. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Thanks Viper :thumbup:

You made me smile sir. I am truly sorry if my words offended anyone. That was not the purpose of my post but rather to highlight the moral dilemmas this hobby creates.

I just wish more and more livestock can begin being bred in captivity and rather "farmed" than removed out of the oceans where they truly belong. Out of all my livestock in my tank I have two clowns which were bred "apparently" in Israel. I trust my LFS and that makes me feel hopeful that in the future all livestock can be bred and not "poached".

Recent Posts