Pet shops to be placed on "no-no" list

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by frankie fish, 4 Aug 2009.

1. frankie fish

frankie fish

How many lfs are in your area that you think are a total waste of time to visit,and that you would not recommend buying from it? In the vaal it's a kinda kinda bad situation,the only lfs having marines are kinda monopolising the hobby now,and the prices are sky-high. i was there again today,really a lot of potential for the place,but take corals for example, there is not one below R300, and now i'm talking about a normal leather,some xenias,star polyps,mushrooms,zoa's ect. And the coral tank is full of Red algae(cyno) and full of aptasia. If you look at the fish dept,just as bad, purple tangs,"vrot" of white spot,R1500. Now if you ask about the prices in relation with the health of the fish,the general attitude is, it's my shop,my prices,buy it or leave it. What is your opinion on such shops, and what else to do than shake your head in disbelief?:nono::nono::nono:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaak

Jaak

Dude, I feel your pain but I think your going to open a can of worms if you create a list like that. If people want to know where this lfs is and want to avoid it i would suggest they contact you via pm. I believe it is not in the best interest of MASA to go on a name and shame exercise.

4. Sentari

Sentari

I think its everyone's personal opinion. People can only be warned and if you have a grudge rather tell people about what LFS it was and what the problem was. Other that that creating a list is not what us reefers do! Personally i think helping the LFS is a better thing. If they dont want help dont buy from them :)

5. frankie fish

frankie fish Thread Starter

True,but do not get me wrong i don't have a personal grudge,it's just really bad to see

6. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

Just treat those stores like the plague. And if someone asks tell them truthfully what u think but via PM

7. seank

seank

I always said that if they keep livestock, and it is kept in "gross" environments, take a photo and place the photo- just make sure it is not livestock that came from someone's tank or a shipment gone wrong- and the poor Lfs is only trying to help out to recover the livestock

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Sorry guys as bad as it is we dont name and shame on MASA, try help the LFS see the error of their ways and if they dont take free advice then they on a hiding to nothing anyway. The main problem is the harm they do to the hobby itself.

9. AndrévN

AndrévN

Dont return. If there is no market created by buyers there will not be livestock kept. We all had bad experiences with someone - but it should be for the correct reasons. And not to badmouth if you are grumpy like me - like i said for the right reasons.

10. ReefMaster_SA

ReefMaster_SA

Talking about pice , I never pay this but , I saw a LFS hermit crab x1 R148 baby regal Tang R1300 , mad price . I never bought anything

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Personally, if the tank at the LFS got Aptasia or green bubble algae, my money stays in my pocket... Why do I want to buy something because I feel sorry for it, where I know 100% it is a waste of time to try and rescue whatever, and in the same time infect my tank.

12. FransSny

FransSny

Guys I've posted a similar thread about this, and yes I have bought out of "pity" and was lucky as all my LS has recovered.

Naming and shaming WIL NOT solve the problem, trying to get them to see the error of their ways will also probably not work. Remember most of these guys have SOME experience and need to create the illusion of expertise in order to bring customers back and keep their businesses open.

What I do is go back, dont buy anything if it's a rip off, and educate potential customers (even in front of the owner if you know it's worthwile)..whats he going to do..chase you out...

13. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

And the worst of all they do not refund...

14. Manic

Manic Moderator

I just don't support shops like this. Up here in Joburg we have a wide choice of shops when it comes to marines and there are a few that I have been to that I will never go back to...

15. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

In Bloemfontein - all of them... actually, come to think, there is only one left :whistling:

I suggest you do what I do - visit the decent shops in Boksburg North, Pretoria, Durban or Cape Town, or buy Mail Order from the sponsors on this Forum.

Better still, swap frags with guys having established tanks.

If your system is mature enough, I will gladly give you a few frags, if you can fetch from Sasolburg on Monday morning around 11h00. Let me know by PM

Hennie

16. Falcon

Falcon

HI frankie glad to have another reefer from our area and I have to admit that you are over reacting.His prices are reasonable I once bought a royal gramma from him for R160-00 etc etc etc go check out a certain major lfs in benoni and one in midrand they want CRAZY CRAZY prices lol.MOST OF THE FISH I PURCHASED FROM HIM IN THE LAST FOUR YEARS SURVIVED:thumbup: come see my tank bro theres the proof...

As for the corals tank i was there on saturday didnt notice so much cyano as you make it sound? the aiptasia i did notice but then lets be fair its very very easy for a tank that passes many many corals through a month to be infected by this,although still not realy a plague yet(maybe ten or so) lol way less aiptasia than a certain mods tank;)
    as for the purple tang he had two one was perfectly fine and for sale at R1400-00 the other one which had whitespot was in a quarintine tank and he would not sell it to you even if you asked(lol i know i asked:razz:)

plus he has one of the best display tanks i have ever seen:)
    bro i understand what you think you saw but maybe just maybe you need to look at the bigger picture sometimes,this isnt a simple hobby like fresh water.
    If you dont like a lfs then complain to him or dont buy there but i think exxagerating a situation is not gonna help anyone if he closes down then we will suffer as believe me there was another BIG petshop in our area that tried marines and to be honest they were pathetic,everything always died even in their own tanks,corals,fish etc.they may have been cheaper but things always died so theres no saving.

17. Marjolein

Marjolein

I totally agree with you falcon. It is not that bad. Go to JHB if you want fish then you have to travel up and down. then it is the petrol and the price for the fish. The Lfs in vereeniging is not so bad. They will always try to assist you with something that you struggle with. Give him a break!!!!!!:nono: And like you said his display tank is looking really good, better that some of the future tanks on the forum.:thumbup:

18. Jaak

Jaak

Well said Falcon!!:thumbup:

19. Falcon

Falcon

Just to make this clear.......;)
    I HAVE NO AFFILIATION AT ALL WITH THE LFS IN OUR AREA,the only reason i'm defending him is because when i started out with marines I did not know about masa and the owner of the pet shop would sit and advise me for hours and even buy me a coke.

Yet i was probably his most stingy customer and only bought cheap stuff and very few things but he still till today four years later gives me great service and has even accepted livestock back that was not suitable for my tank.

frankie give him a try,have a proper chat to the owner and express your views I'm sure you'll change your opinion in time bro.

20. AndrévN

AndrévN

Good point i agree.

21. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Falcon...I agree with what you have said....excellent.

Recent Posts