Pests or not

Reaction score
I have a new tank (about 4 months) and have seen some strange creatures at night in the tank. How do I identify them and tell if they are good or bad?

give us a pic to start with ;)

Hi Mart, I am assuming you are talking about after the lights have been off a while?. The most common things that you will see in your tank at night are either bristle worms (usually not more then a few cms long) or amphipods (look like overgrown fleas). These are generally good to have in your tank. If there are other things that you are seeing (wait for the comments about what you drink or smoke :) ) you will need to either take a photo of them if you can or provide some sort of description.

Welcome to the forum Mart. :)

It's probably too difficult to take photo's of these critters so try describe them as best you can and I'm sure the guys will be able to give you some pointers. When you have some idea's of what it is you have, I like to use google images to try and identify most things.

Hey Mart, welcome to MASA ;)

Ok, I have seen 4
Bristle worms - I know - Do I need to catch them and if so how?
A) 1 looks like a big tick - size of a 1 rand coin, grey in colour with 1 white stripe across its back with 2 white stripes from the center of the back running to the sides.
B) 1 is in a tiny little shell - with a cone on one side of the shell - black with white spots.
C) 1 is like a big brown worm ( not soft though) - very fast - it seems to have some sort of feelers or spikes in the front

Tried to take photos but came out bad

Hi Mart, could you give a description of your setup? Is it a fish only system? Also do you collect you own stuff or is it all bought?

The thing that intrigues me is the tick! The only thing that I can think of is some sort of crab?

Hello Kevin,
My tank is 4 foot. I have fish (7), coral (hard and soft) and live rock. i live in jhb so all is bought. 2 canister filters and a thing that takes the nitrite out of the water, a skimmer and 4 power pumps.
I dont think the "tick" is a crab because i cant see any legs or its head as a matter of fact. It is slow and although it is shaped like a big tick its rear end is slightly smaller than its front but still big and round like a tick with its underside flat. Around the outer edge of the underside it seems to have tiny bristles and it looks like it has armour not soft and smooth like a tick.

Does your brown worm look like this? I also had one but couldn't get an ID on it.

100_0119.jpg

no its browner and it has longish feelers or spikes comming out from the front of its face. I have not been able to see all of it as it is fast and dissappears very quickly when i come close to it with light. It also seems to be harder looking than that one. I have not been able to see all its boby but what i have seen seems to be a lot meaner.

Does teh armour look like a series of plates laid across the body of the animal something like is the photo below?
(Sorry - posted photo incorrectly!)

Tonicella_lineata.gif

Other examples of polycheate worms. Any of these look anything like the one in your tank?

Errantia.gif

Sort of like that but only has the brown and white part ( not the other part on the rock) and the brown and white is all grey with one band of white going across (where the first band of white is on the left) and two bands of white leading from the center of that band with the ends going down the back to the sides, like a " V "

No the thing is rounder and not flat. Its head looks like a prawn head with all the spikes and or feelers. I say "worm" because its body is longish. This is the one thats difficult to see as it is fast and I only catch glimpses of it. But definately long feelers/spikes and quite bigish.

Mart,

When you say fast, how fast do you mean? It's starting to sound like a shrimp.

Maybe anything like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope its not what Gali is posting for your part

Ha Ha, that would be interesting..

hello all,
Thanks for all the feed back.
Firstly......
It seems that one of the creatures is a chiton. (my big tick) I looked at the web site that kevin sent me too and one photo looks quite similar to my "tick" - not the exact markings but close. GOOD or BAD?
Secondly.......
My spikey head creature seems to have more feelers than what gali showed in the picture and its feelers are always sticking out straight, not curled up. My creature also does not come all the way out of its hidey hole with only its feelers sticking out. Once I caught a glimpse of its rear part (if its the same creature) from the same hole and thats why I thought it was a worm of some kind (did not see legs). But then again as I said it was fast so maybe I did not see correctly.

Back
Top Bottom