Pest anemones

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by chikaboo, 20 May 2009.

1. chikaboo

chikaboo

Morning All - referring to a question put me the other day "Is this a pest anemone?" How does one identify a "pest anemone" and besides nukeing them with lime solutions and vineger and so forth what would be the easiest way to get rid of pest anemones once correctly identified! Also what makes them pests? Any harm in leaving them?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

They can harm other coral and anemones with their sting. They can multiply quickly. They are usually not eye candy. They are not hosting anemones, so you will not get the anemone/clownfish relationship.

Some of the more common ways to get rid of them is the lime water that you have mentioned and hitting them with boiling water. Peppermint shrimp are hit or miss with aiptasia. Some fish will eat them.

Here is a some more information that was written by Steven Pro:

Impressions of Methods to Eliminate Pest Anemones

4. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Cool interesting reads! But do pest nennies have distinctive physical attributes that one can "see" and then start to take appropriate action to remove them or is it hard to tell the difference?

5. Anemone

Anemone

Unfortunately no. It can be difficult at times to tell the difference. It takes some time getting familiar with some of the more common ones. Anemones in general are pretty difficult to identify by species. There are over 900 different species in the world. I often times find myself thumbing through hundreds of pages of books or searching for hours on the internet trying to get an accurate ID.

6. Anemone

Anemone

Keep in mind, what one person thinks is a pest, others may not.

7. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Maybe the other members can post some pics of what they found to be pests so that we can go back on this thread whenever we see something pop up in our tanks before we go on a killing spree killkanga and nuke the wrong nennies? Or worse we can start feeding a pest taking good care of it:nono: - Also might help if incorrectly id then someone be brave enough to put it right! Dont think anyone will be offended if you actually being saved from a pest;) Sorry guys not what you THINK is a pest - I said what you FOUND to be a pest!

Last edited: 20 May 2009
  8. Anemone

Anemone

I agree a thread for "pest" anemones is a great idea with pictures. Unfortunately I don't have any pics, but I can ask around.

For the most part, if you didn’t purposely bring the anemone into your aquarium, you should suspect a pest and do some research until you can get a positive ID.

9. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Ok cool now to wake up all the photo experts and picture hogs and some pics going otherwise people like me who get excited about a freebie like my red 1cm nennie will nurse to be a monster!

10. crispin

crispin

lol brenda looks like chikabo has you spinning with all the questions that need answering all at once. the good thing is a we should have most of the "normal" nennie questions covered in the first month :)

do you want pics of aptasia. thats the only pest nennie i have had?

11. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

yes plz so that we can go 2 1 thread and find pics of potential horror stories that are waiting 2 happen!
    Posted via Mobile Device

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Chikaboo - here's a pic from my "aptaisia farm" reef tank: this is what happens if you get overrun by the aptaisia anemone's (biggest pest anemone), and "lose the battle to rid your tank of them":
    [​IMG]

All behind my rusty angel.....

13. Anemone

Anemone

Perhaps once we get a bunch of pictures with ID's we can make it a sticky in the anemone forum? Thoughts on this?

14. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

:thumbup: :biggrin:

15. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Wow they look soooo coool :lol::lol: definately looks like a scary forest from a horror movie

16. nakoma

nakoma

I have those to in my tank tried to get rid of them but they keep coming back

17. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Keep watching this thread nakoma and email those pests - the end is near - we gathering our info in this thread for those buggers will be history soon (we also have imported intelligence on our side undercover agent Anemone);)

18. Anemone

Anemone

:roflmao:

19. Anemone

Anemone

More than one method may be needed to get rid of these. If your trying to nuke them with lime water or boiling water, sometimes you are actually just making them smaller.

However, the peppermint shrimp seem to go after the smaller ones and not the larger ones. Trying both may speed up the process a bit.

20. nakoma

nakoma

i usualy scrape them off the glass with a stainly blade and i remove some of the smaller rocks and scrub them were i can with a brush i have sand stone in my tank and it is nice and soft so sometimes i can dig them out with something sharp but they come back

21. Anemone

Anemone

I would stop scrubbing the rocks, unless you are getting the entire anemone, you are likely propagating them. I would nuke the ones in the rocks with lime water or boiling water. Just be careful, don't do a lot all at once. You don't want to mess up your water parameters. See if you can get one or two peppermint shrimp to help out.

Recent Posts