perspex causes algae?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by brettb2020, 1 Jan 2011.

1. brettb2020

brettb2020

I used a piece of blue perspex on the inside of my tank for the background, not sure who else has done this before?

after a few days of starting my tank all different types of algae started to grow on the perspex but no where else. mainly hair algae. I left it as many new tanks get algae for a while.

then random little patches started to pop up around the tank and started to get annoying and after a couple months, running phos remover, and getting a 0 reading for N and P the algae still didnt go away.

the algae growth on the perspex was fast! if I cleaned it it would be back thick in 2 or 3 days. it started blocking up all my pumps.. in a week my flow pumps would literally drop to 0lph due to blockage as the algae would release of the perspex and float around into the pumps.

so I decided recently to take the piece of perspex out which was 4 days ago and there is hardly a spec of algae in my tank. all the algae on the rocks has mostly died off.

was the perspex leaching stuff into my tank?

thought i would just this interesting ordeal with you guys :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

mmmm im not ruling it out but i dont really think the perspex is the problem, you can still have undetectable phos etc present in the system and perhaps the perspex just provided a more suitable surface for it to grow on?

was lighting not stronger on that side of the tank? or sunlight perhaps hitting that panel?

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Perspex is the same as acriel, and that is what all the American tanks are made of. I doubt if it was leaching anythin. Most likely just a better place to grow, with enough light to fall on it. Maybe adjust your lights slightly so that less light fall on the back glass.

Can you refit the perspex, but this time to the outside of the tank?.

Or else get ABS sheeting from Maizley. About R70 for sheet 1600 by 800mm by .9mm. Blue or black. Easy to cut with box cutter. And easy to cut holes etc. around other pipes or whatever.

5. brettb2020

brettb2020 Thread Starter

could be a better surface grow on. didnt think of that actually. I had algae all over my tank and its gone since iv taken it out. maybe just coincidence?

didnt change the lighting at all though and no sun hits my tank.

ya was also thinking about the guys with the acrylic tanks. but maybe cos my piece is blue that its a slightly different compound. A better place to grow to seems more than likely though.

gonna give the perspex a clean and cut it to fit outside :thumbup:

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i personally think its just a more visible surface for algae to grow on, if i look down the length of my tank i see algae on the front pane that i cannot see when looking through my front glass but its there.

7. durleo

durleo

I would say use the blue vinyl from maizeys on the outside of the tank. It will look better and looks good after you use a scraper to clean the back glass. Have a look at my thread to see it.

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

There is a post I made about 2yrs ago here on how algaes prefer to grow on plastics etc. It was about the inclusion of plastic pellets in fake LR to attract coraline
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. brettb2020

brettb2020 Thread Starter

ya iv found it much easier to clean glass than algae aswell.. the way my tank is plumbed means i have to make really weird cuts into the perspex.. getting quite used to the open back though :) doesnt actually look to bad!

Oh wow thats interesting!

10. Afsal

Afsal

time for sum pics brett .....

11. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

yes brett we need to see it to understand it ;)

12. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

i always use blue perspex....no problems........
    in-fact running it now on new tank.....
    algae does like perspex....thats the idea...to get all the different coraline algae's to grow quick........never had issues with troublesome algae's

Recent Posts