Permission given to get cracking ... poor choice of words.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by AcidHawk, 25 Jun 2014.

1. AcidHawk

AcidHawk

Hi,

I was given a tank a few years ago with some Cichlids (Oscars and convicts etc) which eventually ended up in the garage (not the fish the tank). My wife is not a fan.

However, Since building an office at home, I now have been given permission to setup a system again. After some discussion I worked out the problem my wife has with an aquarium. Typically with a freshwater tank the whole thing (even a well maintained, clean system) has a greenish look (I guess from the plants etc). All the Marine Aquariums my wife really likes have a "cleaner blueish look" (her words). Don't shoot me that is her opinion.

At the end of the day I get to setup an aquarium again... :thumbup: and I am very keen to setup a marine tank.

So this is what I have at the moment.

One 1220x450x450
    One 600x300x300
    Two Aquaclear 500 filters which hang on the side of the tank and a host of other little air pumps and interior power head type filters...

So I am torn between 2 plans:

I am not planning on using the existing filters etc ... I will use the heaters if they a spec'd right.

Plan 1:
    Use the 1220x450x450 as the Display Tank and turn the 600x300x300 into a sump to hold the extra equipment that is needed .. (someone suggested that I build a 900x400x400 tank to replace the 600x300x300 as the sump)

I started investigating getting a 900x400x400 tank and came up with Plan 2

Plan 2:
    Use the 1220x450x450 as a sump and get a 1500x600x800 for the display (this is the space I have available).

I understand that the extra water volume is more forgiving especially for beginners, however after reading some getting started posts and articles I am now terrified that if something goes horribly wrong in the Plan 2 setup there will be a load more to loose than if I stick with the Plan 1 setup and something goes wrong there.

Obviously I don't want anything to go wrong at all. ;)

Looking forward to your comments.
    Sean

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy

Don't be such a pessimist! :lol: Go big or go home :1:

Welcome to MASA you will learn a lot on here. Looking forward to the pics.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and welcome AcidHawk

Remember, bigger tanks, bigger equipment, bigger initial expenses.

Example a skimmer, go and price them.
    But yes, bigger tanks are better, Ideal beginner size in my opinion is between 250L and 500L.

5. AcidHawk

AcidHawk Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome guys,

Eish ... I know ... those skimmers are pricey ... No jokes about them being an investment ... :(

When you are talking about 250l to 500l does that include the sump size or are you only refering to the DT?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Total volume.
    500L and a 10% water change is 2 drums of 25L each. That is manageable. For the lazy, you can walk once and carry both drums.

Tank move is also on the easier side. Can move 250L to 500L system easily within a day and have enough time for a couple of beers. 1000L is a full day job.

500L display and you and 3 mates can move the tank. 250L you and one friend.
    Friends / helpers / garden cleaners / casual workers / whatever. No sure which are the cheapest. :whistling:

Recent Posts